This website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, expressed or implied. Singlemothersgrants.org makes no representations or warranties in relation to this website or the information and materials provided on this website.

Without prejudice to the generality of the foregoing paragraph, Singlemothersgrants.org does not warrant that: 1. this website will be constantly available, or available at all; or 2. the information on this website is complete, true, accurate or non-misleading.

We reserve the right to discontinue or alter any or all of our website services, and to stop publishing our website, at any time in our sole discretion without notice or explanation; and save to the extent expressly provided otherwise in this disclaimer, you will not be entitled to any compensation or other payment upon the discontinuance or alteration of any website services, or if we stop publishing the website.

Grants for Single Mothers in Louisiana

Sponsored links

While there are many assistance programs available to low-income Louisiana residents, it might not always be clear how single mothers can apply for help or where they can do so. This page will help them find appropriate grants in their State.

Head Start

The Louisiana Head Start program provides educational and developmental assistance services to children that come from households that are on a limited income. Covering children up to the age of 5 years old, the Head Start program ensures that children receive social, health and nutritional services. To apply for benefits, get in touch with the Louisiana Head Start Association at 225-358-4504.

Family Independence Temporary Assistance Program

FITAP is an assistance program that can provide single mothers with temporary cash loans so that they may pay for basic needs which may include food, healthcare services, and housing. If you are looking for cash assistance in order to become self-reliant, you may apply for FITAP benefits by calling the Department of Social Services at 1-888-524-3578.

++ Popular grants for single mothers

Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program for single mothers

Also known as “Food Stamps”, the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program provides families on a limited income with electronic benefits (coupons) with which they can use to buy food at participating retail stores. To apply for SNAP benefits, you may contact the Department of Children and Family Services at 1-888-524-3578.


The Louisiana Medicaid program provides healthcare services at low or no cost to families with minor children that are on a limited income. If you cannot afford private health insurance and would like to apply for or enquire about the Medicaid program, you can call the Help Line at 1-800-834-3333.


Uninsured children no older than 19 years of age can get healthcare coverage from the Louisiana Children’s Health Insurance Program. LaCHIP is a free healthcare program that covers hospitalization, doctor’s visits, dental care, and prescription medication. To see if your children qualify for coverage you can get in touch with the Centers for Medicaid and CHIP at 1-877-252-2447.

Child Care Assistance Program for single mothers

The Child Care Assistance Program of Louisiana (CCAP) is administered by the Department of Education, and can help parents on a limited income pay for a portion of their children’s child care costs. If you feel like you meet work and income requirements, you may apply to see if you qualify for benefits. This can be done by calling the CCA Household Eligibility Office at 1-877-453-2721.

Unemployment Insurance for single mothers

The Louisiana Workforce Commission administers the Unemployment Insurance Fund. The fund can help single mothers claim unemployment benefits, if they are unemployed, until they can find a suitable employment option. To find out more about UI, contact the Workforce Commission at 225-342-1111.

Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program

LIHEAP can help you pay for your utility bills and might also be able to help you save on your monthly electricity charges by offering you weatherization programs. As a single mother, you may be eligible for benefits if you meet income and work requirements. More details can be obtained by calling the Energy Assistance Office at 888-454-2001.

Go Grant

The Go Grant supports postgraduate and undergraduate students who are in financial need by providing them with the funds to complete their education. Awards range from $300 to $3,000 on an annual basis, based on the grantee’s scenario. To learn more about the grant or to apply for benefits, you may call the Louisiana Office of Student Financial Assistance at 1-800-259-5626.

Single mothers living in Louisiana should now be armed with enough information to access the funds that are available to them.

++ Also read