While there are many assistance programs available to low-income Louisiana residents, it might not always be clear how single mothers can apply for help or where they can do so. This page will help them find appropriate grants in their State.
The Louisiana Head Start program provides educational and developmental assistance services to children that come from households that are on a limited income. Covering children up to the age of 5 years old, the Head Start program ensures that children receive social, health and nutritional services. To apply for benefits, get in touch with the Louisiana Head Start Association at 225-358-4504.
FITAP is an assistance program that can provide single mothers with temporary cash loans so that they may pay for basic needs which may include food, healthcare services, and housing. If you are looking for cash assistance in order to become self-reliant, you may apply for FITAP benefits by calling the Department of Social Services at 1-888-524-3578.
Also known as “Food Stamps”, the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program provides families on a limited income with electronic benefits (coupons) with which they can use to buy food at participating retail stores. To apply for SNAP benefits, you may contact the Department of Children and Family Services at 1-888-524-3578.
The Louisiana Medicaid program provides healthcare services at low or no cost to families with minor children that are on a limited income. If you cannot afford private health insurance and would like to apply for or enquire about the Medicaid program, you can call the Help Line at 1-800-834-3333.
Uninsured children no older than 19 years of age can get healthcare coverage from the Louisiana Children’s Health Insurance Program. LaCHIP is a free healthcare program that covers hospitalization, doctor’s visits, dental care, and prescription medication. To see if your children qualify for coverage you can get in touch with the Centers for Medicaid and CHIP at 1-877-252-2447.
The Child Care Assistance Program of Louisiana (CCAP) is administered by the Department of Education, and can help parents on a limited income pay for a portion of their children’s child care costs. If you feel like you meet work and income requirements, you may apply to see if you qualify for benefits. This can be done by calling the CCA Household Eligibility Office at 1-877-453-2721.
The Louisiana Workforce Commission administers the Unemployment Insurance Fund. The fund can help single mothers claim unemployment benefits, if they are unemployed, until they can find a suitable employment option. To find out more about UI, contact the Workforce Commission at 225-342-1111.
LIHEAP can help you pay for your utility bills and might also be able to help you save on your monthly electricity charges by offering you weatherization programs. As a single mother, you may be eligible for benefits if you meet income and work requirements. More details can be obtained by calling the Energy Assistance Office at 888-454-2001.
The Go Grant supports postgraduate and undergraduate students who are in financial need by providing them with the funds to complete their education. Awards range from $300 to $3,000 on an annual basis, based on the grantee’s scenario. To learn more about the grant or to apply for benefits, you may call the Louisiana Office of Student Financial Assistance at 1-800-259-5626.
Single mothers living in Louisiana should now be armed with enough information to access the funds that are available to them.
++ Also read
- Section 8 Assistance Program for single mothers
- Low Income Assistance Programs for single mothers
- Foreclosure Assistance Programs for single mothers
- Mortgage assistance programs for single mothers
- Medical Bills Assistance Programs for single moms
- Get help with buying your medications
- Financial Assistance Programs for Women
- Organizations That Offer Free or Low-Cost Credit Counseling to single parents
- Local Church Assistance Programs for single moms
- Get Help from the Salvation Army
- Get Free Legal Assistance and Advice
- Help for single moms With Paying Off Student Loans
- Section 8 Assistance Program
- Catholic Charities Financial Assistance for single mothers
- Get Help Paying Electric Bills
- Get Help Paying Water Bills
- LIHEAP Energy Assistance Program for single mothers
- Low Income Assistance Programs
- Most Helpful Government Assistance Programs for single mothers
- Grants and Scholarships for Adults Back To School
- Assistance Programs for American Indians
- Assistance Programs for Hispanic single mothers
- Popular Charities that Help single mothers With Bills
- Financial Assistance Programs for Seniors
- Financial assistance programs for disabled
- Financial Assistance for Single Mothers
- Assistance Programs for African American single mothers
- Perkins loans for single mothers
- Children's health insurance program for single mothers
- Grants for single moms with no health insurance
- How to apply for government benefits
- Food stamps for single mothers
- Unemployment benefits for single mothers
- Grants for paying telephone bills
- Debt consolidation programs for single mothers
- Bankruptcy assistance for single mothers
- Government financial help for single mothers
- WIC program for single mothers
- Welfare benefits for single mothers
- Education grants for single mothers
- Cash assistance for single mothers
- College grants for single mothers
- Free scholarships for single mothers
- Rent assistance for single mothers
- Low income assistance for single mothers
- Housing grants for single mothers
- Child care assistance for single mothers