This website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, expressed or implied. Singlemothersgrants.org makes no representations or warranties in relation to this website or the information and materials provided on this website.

Without prejudice to the generality of the foregoing paragraph, Singlemothersgrants.org does not warrant that: 1. this website will be constantly available, or available at all; or 2. the information on this website is complete, true, accurate or non-misleading.

We reserve the right to discontinue or alter any or all of our website services, and to stop publishing our website, at any time in our sole discretion without notice or explanation; and save to the extent expressly provided otherwise in this disclaimer, you will not be entitled to any compensation or other payment upon the discontinuance or alteration of any website services, or if we stop publishing the website.

Grants for Single Mothers in Maryland

Sponsored links

It’s not unusual for single mothers to be in need of a little financial help from time to time, but it might be difficult to obtain information as to where and how they can apply for that help. Luckily, this page can help you. If you are a single mother living in Maryland, here are a few of your options:

Head Start and Early Head Start

The Head Start and Early Head Start programs are designed to get children ready for school, but also focus on social and emotional development. Children up to the age of 5 years of age may be enrolled into the Head Start or Early Head Start programs if their parent/s meet income and work requirements. You can enquire about the program or apply for benefits by contacting the Maryland Head Start Association at 1-866-763-6481.

Temporary Cash Assistance

The TCA program forms part of Maryland’s federal Temporary Assistance for Needy Families grant, and may be able to help single mothers with paying for basic needs by providing them with temporary cash loans. If you would like to apply for TCA, get in touch with the Department of Human Services at 1-800-332-6447.

++ Popular grants for single mothers

Food Supplement Program

The Maryland Special Nutrition Assistance Program is referred to as the Food Supplement Program (FSP). Benefits are granted to applicants that meet income requirements and allows for successful applicants to purchase nutritious foods with their electronic benefits. Should you wish to apply for FSP, you may call the DHS office at 1-800-337-6347.

Maryland Children’s Heath Program

MCHIP is a children’s healthcare assistance program for which single mothers may apply if they would like to get their children covered. Children up to the age of 19 years are covered with full medical and dental care benefits. You may call the Maryland Health Connection Office at 1-855-642-8572 if you have any queries or need help with applying for MCHIP.

Child Care Subsidy

Single mothers that are struggling to pay for the full cost of child care services can apply for the Child Care Subsidy program from the Office of Child Care. The program can help you pay for a portion of your child care costs if you meet work and income requirements. To apply for benefits you should contact the Department of Human Resources at 1-800-332-6347.

Maryland Energy Assistance Program

MEAP can help single mothers pay for their home heating and cooling costs, and it can also assist them with the payment of their utility bills. The Office of Home Energy Programs also offers a range of other energy assistance initiatives that can provide relief for families on a very limited income. To see if you are eligible for benefits you can call the OHEP Office at 1-800-332-6347.

Unemployment Insurance

If you have lost your job due to no fault of your own then you may be eligible to receive unemployment insurance benefits. You can apply to see if you qualify for support by getting in touch with the Maryland Department of Labor, Licensing, and Regulation at 1-800-827-4839.

Howard P. Rawlings Guaranteed Access Grant

Maryland students studying at independent tertiary institutions as undergraduates may be eligible for the Guaranteed Access grant, provided by the Guaranteed Access Partnership Program (GAPP). The grant can help ensure that undergraduates with a financial need finish their degrees with awards that can cover as much as the full cost of tuition. To see if your child is eligible for the grant, you may contact the Student Financial Aid Office at 800-974-0203.

As you can see, single mothers living in Maryland can apply for a range of assistance grants to help them make ends meet.

++ Also read