It is hard to support a family and a household with only one income. There are grants for qualified single mothers and their families in South Dakota.
In South Dakota, find need based scholarships for single mothers wanting to go back to school. Qualify by completing your FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid). The awards vary from $500 to $2,000 per student.
Contact the SD Board of Regents at (605) 773-3455 or firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Women, Infants and Children (WIC)
The South Dakota Department of Health has a WIC program that helps single mothers, infants and toddlers. Low-income families are given valuable nutrition advice and assistance to buy healthy foods in stores. They receive referrals to clinics, doctors and community service agencies. Apply by contacting a WIC clinic in the county where you live.
Call (605) 773-3361 or 1-800-738-2301 for the state office number.
SNAP food assistance for single mothers
SNAP (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program) is a source of food assistance in South Dakota. Eligibility is based on income, family size, and monthly expenses. Apply online through the Department of Social Services (DSS) website. The other options are to download an application online and mail it the nearest DSS office or drop by in person.
Contact the DSS office to ask questions, call the SNAP division at (605) 773-3493 or 1-877-999-5612 or email SNAP@state.sd.us.
TANF cash assistance for single mothers
TANF is the Temporary Assistance for Needy Families program that helps low-income single mothers. To apply, visit your local DSS office and see if you are eligible. Also, visit a Department of Labor and Regulation (DLR) office in your county for work assistance.
ontact the TANF program administrator at DSS by calling (605) 773-4678 or emailing TANF@state.sd.us.
DSS has medical assistance in the form of Medicaid and Children’s Health Insurance (CHIP). Eligibility requirements are found on the DSS website along with a list of services covered. Apply for benefits online or contact a local DSS office near you.
CHILDREN’S HEALTH INSURANCE PROGRAM (CHIP)
The Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP) has services for the uninsured or the underinsured. Check your eligibility requirements and apply for this program online.
CHILD CARE ASSISTANCE PROGRAM (CCAP)
Child Care Assistance is given to low-income families in need of regular child care. Apply online through DSS or download an application and mail it to DSS Division of Child Care Services. Contact the division at 1-800-227-3020 or Child Care Assistance at (605) 773-7274.
Unemployment Insurance (UI)
The Department of Labor and Regulation (DLR) provides Unemployment Insurance (UI) to eligible individuals. File an online claim or call (605) 626-2452.
Contact the Unemployment Insurance Division by email or by phone at (605) 626-2301 if you need help.
South Dakota Head Start Association (SDHSA) has early childhood education programs in the state and the local communities. Find a Head Start office in your area and start the application process.
For further assistance, contact SDHSA at (605) 224-4161 or email@example.com.
DSS has the LIHEAP, also known as Low Income Energy Assistance Program, for eligible households. Download an application and email it to LIEAPApp@state.sd.us or mail it to the Office of Energy Assistance.
For assistance, call 1-800-233-8503.
Everyone worries about money at some point, but as a single mother, these resources are able to help. If you are in a time of need, reach out to see what you qualify for.
++ Also read
- Section 8 Assistance Program for single mothers
- Low Income Assistance Programs for single mothers
- Foreclosure Assistance Programs for single mothers
- Mortgage assistance programs for single mothers
- Medical Bills Assistance Programs for single moms
- Get help with buying your medications
- Financial Assistance Programs for Women
- Organizations That Offer Free or Low-Cost Credit Counseling to single parents
- Local Church Assistance Programs for single moms
- Get Help from the Salvation Army
- Get Free Legal Assistance and Advice
- Help for single moms With Paying Off Student Loans
- Section 8 Assistance Program
- Catholic Charities Financial Assistance for single mothers
- Get Help Paying Electric Bills
- Get Help Paying Water Bills
- LIHEAP Energy Assistance Program for single mothers
- Low Income Assistance Programs
- Most Helpful Government Assistance Programs for single mothers
- Grants and Scholarships for Adults Back To School
- Assistance Programs for American Indians
- Assistance Programs for Hispanic single mothers
- Popular Charities that Help single mothers With Bills
- Financial Assistance Programs for Seniors
- Financial assistance programs for disabled
- Financial Assistance for Single Mothers
- Assistance Programs for African American single mothers
- Perkins loans for single mothers
- Children's health insurance program for single mothers
- Grants for single moms with no health insurance
- How to apply for government benefits
- Food stamps for single mothers
- Unemployment benefits for single mothers
- Grants for paying telephone bills
- Debt consolidation programs for single mothers
- Bankruptcy assistance for single mothers
- Government financial help for single mothers
- WIC program for single mothers
- Welfare benefits for single mothers
- Education grants for single mothers
- Cash assistance for single mothers
- College grants for single mothers
- Free scholarships for single mothers
- Rent assistance for single mothers
- Low income assistance for single mothers
- Housing grants for single mothers
- Child care assistance for single mothers