Apply for single mother grants today

Welcome to our website. We offer largest directory of single mother grants that help with rent, utility bills, child care, education, medication, housing, medical bills, and mortgage, among others. Many of these financial assistance programs have limited funding, and some might not be available for single mothers who do not meet specific income requirements. Phone numbers and website links to apply for these free grants are published on our website

Grants from variety of sources

Grants published on our website are made available from a variety of sources -- state, federal, non profit organizations and educational institutions. If you are looking for education grants, make sure that application is submitted before the deadline. Many other grants might also have deadlines that need to be met to quality for a free grant. Although our focus is on publishing information on single mother grants, scholarships are not given much importance. If you are looking for college scholarships, readers are advised to look for websites that specifically deal with college scholarships.

Sponsored links

Grants for Single Mothers in Tennessee

Finding help for single, low-income mothers is very possible in Tennessee. Get started on your search for financial and child assistance programs.

Tennessee Student Assistance Award (TSAA)

The Tennessee Student Assistance Award Program (TSAA) is given to single mothers enrolled in higher education institutions within the state. See if you qualify by filling out a FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid). The deadline to apply is March 1. Contact the financial aid office at your school for more information.

Unemployment Insurance

Unemployment Insurance is available to single mothers who are temporarily out of work. Funds from the Unemployment Insurance Tax are awarded to qualified employees.

Sponsored links

++ Popular grants for single mothers

Manage your tax account online or contact the UI tax office closest to you. For more information, call the Department of Labor and Workforce Development at (844) 224-5818.

Child Care Assistance

The Department of Human Services (DHS) offers Child Care Assistance to help single mothers while they work. Smart Steps Child Care Payment Assistance is available to you if you work or attend school. Apply for the Smart Steps program by downloading an application online or contacting a DHS office near you.

Contact the department at (615) 313-4700 or For assistance, find the nearest center on the Tennessee Child Care Resource and Referral Network website.


CoverKids is a children’s healthcare option for income eligible individuals. Through the Tennessee Division of Health Care Finance and Administration website, apply online or call 1-800-318-2596. Apply in person by visiting a county health department office or fax it to 1-866-913-1046. For questions, call 1-866-CoverTN.


TennCare is the Medicaid program for low-income residents in Tennessee. To apply, stop by a DHS office in your county. Call 1-800-318-2596 to apply via phone. Receive help from a private medical provider at or call 1-866-475-7879.

Learn more about TennCare by contacting 1-800-342-3145 or to.


WIC is nutritional assistance for Women, Infants, and Children. Also known as the Special Supplemental Nutrition Program, this program helps women who are breastfeeding, pregnant or raising infants. Single mothers can receive food assistance if they are low income.

To sign up, visit your local health department in person or call 1-800-342-5942. Contact the department at (615) 741-3111 or

Food Stamps

The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, also known as SNAP, is a food assistance program for unemployed and low-income communities. DHS determines your eligibility based on income guidelines. Stop by the DHS office in your area or apply for benefits online.

Email or call the Family Assistance Service Center at (615) 743-2000 in Nashville or toll free at 1-866-311-4287.

Families First

Families First is Tennessee’s program for Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF). Apply for benefits online or step into a DHS county office.

Contact the Family Assistance Service Center by email or by phone at (615) 743-2000 or 1-866-311-4287.

Head Start

Head Start is the state’s federal program for early childhood education and healthy development. To apply, call 1-866-763-6481 or find the Head Start locator tool on the Early Childhood Learning & Knowledge Center (ECLKC) website.

Contact Head Start at 1-866-763-6481 or The Department of Education can be reached at (615) 741-5158.


LIHEAP is the Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program for low-income households. You must meet national poverty guidelines, and part of your income must pay the energy bills. To apply, download the application online or contact the LIHEAP agency in the county where you live.

Single mothers may need a helping hand and, in Tennessee, organizations and agencies are in place to do so.

Sponsored links