This website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, expressed or implied. Singlemothersgrants.org makes no representations or warranties in relation to this website or the information and materials provided on this website.

Without prejudice to the generality of the foregoing paragraph, Singlemothersgrants.org does not warrant that: 1. this website will be constantly available, or available at all; or 2. the information on this website is complete, true, accurate or non-misleading.

We reserve the right to discontinue or alter any or all of our website services, and to stop publishing our website, at any time in our sole discretion without notice or explanation; and save to the extent expressly provided otherwise in this disclaimer, you will not be entitled to any compensation or other payment upon the discontinuance or alteration of any website services, or if we stop publishing the website.

Grants for Single Mothers in Vermont

Sponsored links

Paying to head an entire household may not be possible on a single income. Vermont has a number of grants and affordable programs to help single mothers in their communities.

Vermont Student Assistance Corporation (VSAC)

Vermont Student Assistance Corporation (VSAC) has a plan for students who want to finish school. Find several grants for the next academic school year, which include the Vermont Incentive, Part-Time or Non-Degree grants. Check your eligibility for each type of grant and apply online. Qualify by filling out an online Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or calling 1-800-433-3243 for a paper copy.

Contact the VSAC grants department at (800) 882-4166 or (802) 654-3750 or email general information at info@vsac.org.


++ Popular grants for single mothers

VSAC has financial assistance for low-income students. Vermont Incentive Grant is given to single mothers enrolled full time in colleges or universities. Submit your FAFSA to see if your income meets qualifications. If you cannot apply for FAFSA, fill out a financial aid form electronically on the VSAC website.

Your school’s financial aid office has more information about grants. Contact the VSAC at info@vsac.org or by phone at (800) 882-4166 or (802) 654-3750.

Reach Up

Reach Up is a job training program for single mothers that is provided by the Vermont Department for Children and Families (DFC). You will have to complete an interview and follow work requirements to stay in the program. Child-Only Reach Up offers financial grants to help adults become guardians for children. For either one of these programs, apply online, call 1-800-479-6151, or show up at a nearby district office.


3SquaresVT is the official food assistance program in Vermont, also known as the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP). To apply, go online for the application, call 1-800-479-6151 to receive a mail-in application or stop by your local district office.

Green Mountain Care

Green Mountain Care is the state-funded version of Medicaid for single mothers, children and the disabled. Look into the Medicaid program designed for children and adults. See if you are eligible and sign up on the Vermont Health Connect website or download an application.

Contact the Health Access Member Services at 1-800-250-8427. Call (855) 899-9600 if you have questions about Medicaid.


DFC has Child Care Financial Assistance for income eligible families. Apply through the Bright Futures Information System (BFIS) or fill out an application and mail it to your county’s community child care support agency.

Contact the Child Development Division at (802) 241-3110 or 1-800-649-2642.


Green Mountain Care has Dr. Dynasaur for the low-income healthcare coverage of children. Apply through Vermont Health Connect. For questions, call Health Access Member Services at 1-800-250-8427.


Unemployment insurance is provided to single mothers who are unemployed and looking for work. You must be eligible based on your past and current work earnings. Call your claim online using a PIN, over the phone at 1-800-983-2300 or by mail.

Contact the Claims Center at 1-877-214-3330.

Rental Assistance Program

The Vermont State Housing Authority (VSHA) has a low-income Rental Assistance Program. You must meet income requirements and be placed on the waiting list. Download the Application for Rental Assistance and mail it to VSHA. Contact the organization at (802) 828-3295.

Home Heating Assistance

Fuel assistance is provided to households with incomes that meet federal poverty guidelines. Apply on the DCF website, call 1-800-479-6151 or visit your district office in person. Another option is to download an application and mail it to Vermont’s Economic Services Division.

For questions, call the Economic Services Division at 1-800-479-6151.

Vermont has programs in place to help those in need which includes single mothers. Be sure you find the low-income programs that are right for you.

++ Also read