Are you a single mother struggling to make ends meet, or who would like to go back to school but don’t have the funds to do so? If so, check out these grants available for you in Virginia.
FAMILY ACCESS TO MEDICAL INSURANCE SECURITY (FAMIS)
Virginia has a healthcare program designed for adults and children. Called Families Access to Medical Insurance Security, FAMIS covers a child’s full list of medical needs. Get pre-screened for eligibility on the Cover Virginia website. Apply online, call 1-855-242-8282, download an application or visit a nearby Department of Social Services (DSS) office.
WOMEN, INFANTS, AND CHILDREN (WIC)
Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) is a pregnancy and breastfeeding program that ensures each mother gets the proper nutrition recommended. Download the application form or make an appointment at your local WIC clinic.
++ Popular grants for single mothers
- Most Helpful Government Assistance Programs for single mothers
- Welfare benefits for single mothers
- Rent assistance for single mothers
- How to apply for government benefits
- Low income assistance for single mothers
- Housing grants for single mothers
- Child care assistance for single mothers
- Food stamps for single mothers
- Unemployment benefits for single mothers
- Grants for paying telephone bills
- Food assistance program for single mothers
- Education grants for single mothers
- Cash assistance for single mothers
- College grants for single mothers
- Free scholarships for single mothers
- Government financial help for single mothers
- Popular Charities that Help single mothers With Bills
- Section 8 Assistance Program for single mothers
- Low Income Assistance Programs for single mothers
- Foreclosure Assistance Programs for single mothers
- Mortgage assistance programs for single mothers
- Medical Bills Assistance Programs for single moms
- Get help with buying your medications
- Financial Assistance Programs for Women
- Organizations That Offer Free or Low-Cost Credit Counseling to single parents
- Local Church Assistance Programs for single moms
- Get Help from the Salvation Army
- Get Free Legal Assistance and Advice
- Help for single moms With Paying Off Student Loans
- Section 8 Assistance Program
- Catholic Charities Financial Assistance for single mothers
- Get Help Paying Electric Bills
- Get Help Paying Water Bills
- LIHEAP Energy Assistance Program for single mothers
- Low Income Assistance Programs
- Grants and Scholarships for Adults Back To School
- Assistance Programs for American Indians
- Assistance Programs for Hispanic single mothers
- Financial Assistance Programs for Seniors
- Financial assistance programs for disabled
- Financial Assistance for Single Mothers
- Assistance Programs for African American single mothers
- Perkins loans for single mothers
- Children's health insurance program for single mothers
- Grants for single moms with no health insurance
- Debt consolidation programs for single mothers
- Bankruptcy assistance for single mothers
For assistance, call the WIC program corporate center at (757) 518-2789, and call the Virginia Beach breastfeeding helpline at (757) 284-9428.
Virginia Medicaid helps single mothers, children and low-income households to get the medical care they need. Go through a pre-admission screening for eligibility and apply online or download an application. Call the helpline at (804) 786-6145 or Medical at (800) 884-9730 or (800) 772-9996 in Richmond.
Child Care Subsidy Program
Virginia’s Child Care Subsidy Program helps single mothers pay for child care as they work or attend school. Get screened to determine your eligibility first. Apply on the CommonHelp website or call 1-855-635-4370 for application assistance. Otherwise, visit your local Virginia Department of Social Services office.
Head Start provides social services for low-income children all over Virginia. Through the Virginia Department of Social Services, find and apply for a Head Start program near you. Contact the information center at (866) 763-6481 or HeadStart@eclkc.info.
Unemployment insurance (UI)
Unemployment insurance (UI) is administered through the Virginia Employment Commission (VEC). File a claim online, over the phone at 1-866-832-2363 or at a VEC office in your area. For general UI questions, call (866) 832-2363.
Tuition Assistance Grant Program (VTAG)
Virginia’s Tuition Assistance Grant (VTAG) program helps full-time students at colleges or universities. Download the 2016-2017 application and mail it to your school’s financial aid office. For information, call the Council of Independent Colleges in Virginia at (540) 586-0606 or submit an online form.
Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) is Virginia’s regular provider to low-income households. Eligible families are able to receive cash funds temporarily.
Download an Application for Benefits online and mail it to the DSS in your area. Online, apply through the CommonHelp portal.
Virginia’s SNAP stands for Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program. and it is a program that can help in the purchase of healthy food. Check your eligibility first and apply online or visit your local DSS. If you have questions, call the SNAP hotline at (800) 552-3431.
DSS has an energy assistance program called Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP). Call for crisis assistance if you have heating needs that cannot wait. CommonHelp has an online application process, but you can download an application or visit the local DSS office. Reach the main office at (804) 726-7000 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Paying for your finances as a single mother can be a day-to-day struggle. Fortunately, Virginia has specific programs and organizations that support any and all single mothers.