This website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, expressed or implied. Singlemothersgrants.org makes no representations or warranties in relation to this website or the information and materials provided on this website.

Without prejudice to the generality of the foregoing paragraph, Singlemothersgrants.org does not warrant that: 1. this website will be constantly available, or available at all; or 2. the information on this website is complete, true, accurate or non-misleading.

We reserve the right to discontinue or alter any or all of our website services, and to stop publishing our website, at any time in our sole discretion without notice or explanation; and save to the extent expressly provided otherwise in this disclaimer, you will not be entitled to any compensation or other payment upon the discontinuance or alteration of any website services, or if we stop publishing the website.

Grants for Single Mothers in Virginia

Sponsored links

Are you a single mother struggling to make ends meet, or who would like to go back to school but don’t have the funds to do so? If so, check out these grants available for you in Virginia.


Virginia has a healthcare program designed for adults and children. Called Families Access to Medical Insurance Security, FAMIS covers a child’s full list of medical needs. Get pre-screened for eligibility on the Cover Virginia website. Apply online, call 1-855-242-8282, download an application or visit a nearby Department of Social Services (DSS) office.


Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) is a pregnancy and breastfeeding program that ensures each mother gets the proper nutrition recommended. Download the application form or make an appointment at your local WIC clinic.

++ Popular grants for single mothers

For assistance, call the WIC program corporate center at (757) 518-2789, and call the Virginia Beach breastfeeding helpline at (757) 284-9428.


Virginia Medicaid helps single mothers, children and low-income households to get the medical care they need. Go through a pre-admission screening for eligibility and apply online or download an application. Call the helpline at (804) 786-6145 or Medical at (800) 884-9730 or (800) 772-9996 in Richmond.

Child Care Subsidy Program

Virginia’s Child Care Subsidy Program helps single mothers pay for child care as they work or attend school. Get screened to determine your eligibility first. Apply on the CommonHelp website or call 1-855-635-4370 for application assistance. Otherwise, visit your local Virginia Department of Social Services office.

Head Start

Head Start provides social services for low-income children all over Virginia. Through the Virginia Department of Social Services, find and apply for a Head Start program near you. Contact the information center at (866) 763-6481 or HeadStart@eclkc.info.

Unemployment insurance (UI)

Unemployment insurance (UI) is administered through the Virginia Employment Commission (VEC). File a claim online, over the phone at 1-866-832-2363 or at a VEC office in your area. For general UI questions, call (866) 832-2363.

Tuition Assistance Grant Program (VTAG)

Virginia’s Tuition Assistance Grant (VTAG) program helps full-time students at colleges or universities. Download the 2016-2017 application and mail it to your school’s financial aid office. For information, call the Council of Independent Colleges in Virginia at (540) 586-0606 or submit an online form.


Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) is Virginia’s regular provider to low-income households. Eligible families are able to receive cash funds temporarily.

Download an Application for Benefits online and mail it to the DSS in your area. Online, apply through the CommonHelp portal.


Virginia’s SNAP stands for Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program. and it is a program that can help in the purchase of healthy food. Check your eligibility first and apply online or visit your local DSS. If you have questions, call the SNAP hotline at (800) 552-3431.



DSS has an energy assistance program called Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP). Call for crisis assistance if you have heating needs that cannot wait. CommonHelp has an online application process, but you can download an application or visit the local DSS office. Reach the main office at (804) 726-7000 or citizen.services@dss.virginia.gov.

Paying for your finances as a single mother can be a day-to-day struggle. Fortunately, Virginia has specific programs and organizations that support any and all single mothers.

++ Also read