Grants for Single Mothers in Wisconsin

Applying for a grant program can be a step toward getting out of poverty and achieving the goals an individual has. Single mothers can look at grants and find other resources that will help them in Wisconsin.


Wisconsin Works (W-2) is a job training program for income eligible adults. Apply by reviewing the full benefits and contacting the W-2 agency closest to you. Contact the Department of Children and Families at (608) 267-3905 or

Sponsored links

FoodShare Wisconsin

FoodShare Wisconsin is the program to prevent hunger all over the state. Apply for food benefits online, call the Department of Health Services (DHS) agency near you, or visit the agency in person. Obtain this information by calling 1-800-362-3002.

Wisconsin Shares (Child Care)

Wisconsin Shares is the source that low-income mothers need to receive child care subsidies. Apply on the ACCESS website if you meet income and family size qualifications. For questions or assistance with an application, call 1-800-362-3002.

BadgerCare Plus

BadgerCare Plus is an affordable healthcare plan for single mothers and their children. Apply through ACCESS or download and fax in your application. Apply over the phone or find the DHS agency in your county. Contact customer service at 1-800-362-3002 or

WHEDA Section 8 Voucher Program

WHEDA, Wisconsin Housing and Economic Development Authority, has a Section 8 Voucher Program for low-income people in need of housing. To participate, contact the Housing Choice Voucher Program agent in your county. Contact WHEDA at or 1-800-334-6873.

Talent Incentive Program (TIP) Grant

Talent Incentive Program Grants (TIP) help single mothers trying to go back to school. Apply by submitting your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online. Also, download the TIP Grant application, fill it out and mail it to the closest Wisconsin Educational Opportunity Program (WEOP) office.

Wisconsin Tuition Grant (WTG)

Wisconsin Tuition Grant (WTG) is another grant for low-income students within the state. Fill out the FAFSA and see if you qualify based on level of financial need. Contact the grant specialist at (608) 266-0888 or


Wisconsin’s Department of Workforce Development has unemployment insurance benefits. Assistance is provided to people who are recently unemployed. File a claim online or over the phone at (414) 438-7700 or (608) 232-0678. Email any of your questions online or over the phone at (414) 438-7713 or (608) 232-0824.


WIC is the Women, Infants and Children program for all types of families in Wisconsin. Receive a variety of nutrition and healthy food assistance services. Apply at a nearby WIC office. Contact the hotline at 1-800-722-2295.

Head Start

The federal Head Start program is funded by the state of Wisconsin. Single mothers learn how to support the early growth and development of their children. They participate in relevant social, health and nutrition programs.

To get started, apply by finding a Head Start program in your area. For general questions, contact or 1-866-763-6481.

Single mothers who are trying to make it in Wisconsin can get a hand to help you move in the right direction. Reach out to these agencies to find out what your qualify for.

++ Also read