If you are a single mom living in Albuquerque and need help paying bills and meeting basic expenses, there are lots of options for getting the help you need.
Cash Assistance for single mothers
Albuquerque’s version of Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF) is known as NMWorks, and it provides qualifying families and single mothers with a monthly cash benefit to meet basic needs.
Food benefits for single mothers
If you need to find a decent meal, St Martin’s Shelter is one place to turn in Albuquerque. It offers three full meals Monday through Friday. New Mexico also participates in the Supplemental Nutrition assistance program (SNAP). There’s a nice listing of soup kitchens and food pantries at Albuquerque Homeless Resources, and you can also check the listings at FoodPantries.org and HomelessShelterDirectory.
Shelter & Housing benefits for single mothers
The Family and Community Services Department is a key player in Albuquerque’s effort to end homelessness. It lists scores of places you can go to get all kinds of different housing help, from homeless shelters to rental assistance, to home ownership assistance. The Housing department of St. Martin’s Hospitality Center provides HUD-funded rental assistance to about 110 households, and also serves as an emergency shelter. A great listing of shelters is at Share New Mexico.
Energy assistance for single moms
Needy families and single mothers can get assistance for their energy bills through HEAT New Mexico, New Mexico Gas Company’s heating assistance fund to help low income families pay their home energy bills. Other options include the NM Energy $mart program for weatherization assistance to New Mexico low-income homeowners and tenants and the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) to keep single mothers and families safe and healthy through initiatives that assist families with energy costs.
Help with Telephone Bills
The Eastern Plains Community Action Agency (EPCAA) helps in paying phone bills, and they may even give a homeless person a free cell phone. New Mexico also participates in the Lifeline telephone bill assistance program, and you apply directly through your carrier.
Childcare assistance for single mothers
The CLNkids provides high-quality early child development services for homeless children under the age of six years. It has been serving homeless children in Albuquerque since 1988. New Mexico’s Children, Families, and Youth Department (CYFD) runs a child care assistance program. Native American Professional Parent Resources (NAPPR) has some Early Head Start programming in Albuquerque. YDI is the main Heat Start provider in Bernalillo Country.
Help with Medical Care
Albuquerque Health Care for the Homeless (AHCH) is the only clinic dedicated exclusively to providing medical care to the homeless. The New Mexico Dental Association Foundation lists several programs for obtaining free dental care. FreeDentalCare also lists some options. For medical care, the Free Clinic Directory lists 28 free and sliding-scale options.
Help with Legal Matters
New Mexico Legal Aid is the largest provider of free civil legal services in the state.
Help with Financial Counseling
Share New Mexico has a great page about where to find financial counseling services.
Help for single mothers from Other Groups
There are many groups in Albuquerque that provide single moms all kinds of services related to many of the areas mention above, including the following:
For an extensive listing of other groups that help, see Share New Mexico.
++ Also read
- Section 8 Assistance Program for single mothers
- Low Income Assistance Programs for single mothers
- Foreclosure Assistance Programs for single mothers
- Mortgage assistance programs for single mothers
- Medical Bills Assistance Programs for single moms
- Get help with buying your medications
- Financial Assistance Programs for Women
- Organizations That Offer Free or Low-Cost Credit Counseling to single parents
- Local Church Assistance Programs for single moms
- Get Help from the Salvation Army
- Get Free Legal Assistance and Advice
- Help for single moms With Paying Off Student Loans
- Section 8 Assistance Program
- Catholic Charities Financial Assistance for single mothers
- Get Help Paying Electric Bills
- Get Help Paying Water Bills
- LIHEAP Energy Assistance Program for single mothers
- Low Income Assistance Programs
- Most Helpful Government Assistance Programs for single mothers
- Grants and Scholarships for Adults Back To School
- Assistance Programs for American Indians
- Assistance Programs for Hispanic single mothers
- Popular Charities that Help single mothers With Bills
- Financial Assistance Programs for Seniors
- Financial assistance programs for disabled
- Financial Assistance for Single Mothers
- Assistance Programs for African American single mothers
- Perkins loans for single mothers
- Children's health insurance program for single mothers
- Grants for single moms with no health insurance
- How to apply for government benefits
- Food stamps for single mothers
- Unemployment benefits for single mothers
- Grants for paying telephone bills
- Debt consolidation programs for single mothers
- Bankruptcy assistance for single mothers
- Government financial help for single mothers
- WIC program for single mothers
- Welfare benefits for single mothers
- Education grants for single mothers
- Cash assistance for single mothers
- College grants for single mothers
- Free scholarships for single mothers
- Rent assistance for single mothers
- Low income assistance for single mothers
- Housing grants for single mothers
- Child care assistance for single mothers