If you are a single mother residing in Arlington and need help paying bills and meeting basic expenses, there are lots of options for getting the help you need.
Cash Assistance for single mothers
In Arlington, struggling families and single mothers can turn to the Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF) program, which provides eligible families with a monthly cash payment to meet their basic needs at this link. Arlington County also has its own assistance program for low-income residents managed by the Clinical Coordination Unit, which can help out with all kinds of financial difficulties at this link. The Virginia 2-1-1 online database lists and additional 75 other places to turn for financial assistance in Arlington County at this link.
Food assistance for single mothers
Low-income residents of Arlington may qualify for SNAP, the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, which can be used like cash to buy eligible food items from authorized retailers. Find out more at this link. If you need more immediate assistance with food and meals, the Virginia 2-1-1 online database lists 16 different options for getting the food assistance you need at this link.
Shelter & Housing grants for single mothers
Arlington County’s website has a page listing half a dozen homeless shelters in the area at this link. The Virginia 2-1-1 online database lists 9 different shelters in the area at this link. Arlington County also has several different rental assistance programs, including a Housing Grants Program, Housing Choice Voucher Program, and Permanent Supportive Housing program you can access at this list. If you’re in danger of being evicted, you can get quick help through the Arlington County Eviction Prevention assistance at this link.
Single mother help with Energy
Arlington County offers assistance with heating/cooling at this link. The state of Virginia has an Energy Assistance (EA) program at this link to help eligible low-income households offset expenses associated with heating and/or cooling their home. The Virginia 2-1-1 online database lists 23 different options for getting help to pay for utilities.
Telephone Bills grants for single mothers
Virginia participates in the Lifeline telephone bill assistance program, whereby eligible people can receive a discount on their telephone bills, and maybe even a free cell phone. A list of participating carriers can be found at this link.
Childcare aid for single moms
The Child Care Subsidy Program provides financial assistance to eligible families and single mothers to help pay for the cost of childcare so they can work or attend education or training programs. Find out more at this link. Head Start and Early Head start programming is available in Arlington from Northern Virginia Family Service. Find out more at this link.
Help with Medical and Dental Care
There are several Medical Assistance Programs offered in Virginia at this link. Each program covers different groups of people and each program has different eligibility requirements. Arlington County has a page about how you can get dental assistance at this link, and prescription assistance at this link. There are 9 clinics in or near Arlington listed by FreeClinics.com at this link.
Help with Legal Matters
Financial Counseling for single parents
The Virginia 2-1-1 online database lists 37 different places in and around Arlington where you can get help with financial, credit, debt, and budget counseling at this link. Many of the locations are in Washington DC.
Help for single mothers from Other Groups
There are many groups in Virginia Beach that provide all kinds of services related to many of the areas mention above, including the following:
Catholic Charities Arlington: Link.
Salvation Army Arlington: Link.
Virginia 2-1-1: Link.
++ Also read
- Section 8 Assistance Program for single mothers
- Low Income Assistance Programs for single mothers
- Foreclosure Assistance Programs for single mothers
- Mortgage assistance programs for single mothers
- Medical Bills Assistance Programs for single moms
- Get help with buying your medications
- Financial Assistance Programs for Women
- Organizations That Offer Free or Low-Cost Credit Counseling to single parents
- Local Church Assistance Programs for single moms
- Get Help from the Salvation Army
- Get Free Legal Assistance and Advice
- Help for single moms With Paying Off Student Loans
- Section 8 Assistance Program
- Catholic Charities Financial Assistance for single mothers
- Get Help Paying Electric Bills
- Get Help Paying Water Bills
- LIHEAP Energy Assistance Program for single mothers
- Low Income Assistance Programs
- Most Helpful Government Assistance Programs for single mothers
- Grants and Scholarships for Adults Back To School
- Assistance Programs for American Indians
- Assistance Programs for Hispanic single mothers
- Popular Charities that Help single mothers With Bills
- Financial Assistance Programs for Seniors
- Financial assistance programs for disabled
- Financial Assistance for Single Mothers
- Assistance Programs for African American single mothers
- Perkins loans for single mothers
- Children's health insurance program for single mothers
- Grants for single moms with no health insurance
- How to apply for government benefits
- Food stamps for single mothers
- Unemployment benefits for single mothers
- Grants for paying telephone bills
- Debt consolidation programs for single mothers
- Bankruptcy assistance for single mothers
- Government financial help for single mothers
- WIC program for single mothers
- Welfare benefits for single mothers
- Education grants for single mothers
- Cash assistance for single mothers
- College grants for single mothers
- Free scholarships for single mothers
- Rent assistance for single mothers
- Low income assistance for single mothers
- Housing grants for single mothers
- Child care assistance for single mothers