If you are a single mother residing in Buffalo and need help paying bills and meeting basic expenses, there are lots of options for getting the help you need.
Cash Assistance programs for single mothers
New York state has a page that describes its two different Temporary Assistance program, one of which is Family Assistance that provides cash assistance to eligible needy families and single mothers that include a minor child living with a parent (including families where both parents are in the household) or a caretaker relative. Find out more at this link.
Food assistance for single mothers
Buffalo is located in Erie County, New York, which has a webpage devoted to SNAP (formerly Food Stamps) at this link, which provides low-income households with benefits to purchase food in order to maintain good health. If you need more immediate assistance with food or meals, Western New York’s 2-1-1 online database lists 81 different food pantries at this link, and 20 different soup kitchens at this link.
++ Popular grants for single mothers
- Section 8 Assistance Program for single mothers
- Low Income Assistance Programs for single mothers
- Foreclosure Assistance Programs for single mothers
- Mortgage assistance programs for single mothers
- Medical Bills Assistance Programs for single moms
- Get help with buying your medications
- Financial Assistance Programs for Women
- Organizations That Offer Free or Low-Cost Credit Counseling to single parents
- Local Church Assistance Programs for single moms
- Get Help from the Salvation Army
- Get Free Legal Assistance and Advice
- Help for single moms With Paying Off Student Loans
- Section 8 Assistance Program
- Catholic Charities Financial Assistance for single mothers
- Get Help Paying Electric Bills
- Get Help Paying Water Bills
- LIHEAP Energy Assistance Program for single mothers
- Low Income Assistance Programs
- Most Helpful Government Assistance Programs for single mothers
- Grants and Scholarships for Adults Back To School
- Assistance Programs for American Indians
- Assistance Programs for Hispanic single mothers
- Popular Charities that Help single mothers With Bills
- Financial Assistance Programs for Seniors
- Financial assistance programs for disabled
- Financial Assistance for Single Mothers
- Assistance Programs for African American single mothers
- Perkins loans for single mothers
- Children's health insurance program for single mothers
- Grants for single moms with no health insurance
- How to apply for government benefits
- Food stamps for single mothers
- Unemployment benefits for single mothers
- Grants for paying telephone bills
- Debt consolidation programs for single mothers
- Bankruptcy assistance for single mothers
- Government financial help for single mothers
- WIC program for single mothers
- Welfare benefits for single mothers
- Education grants for single mothers
- Cash assistance for single mothers
- College grants for single mothers
- Free scholarships for single mothers
- Rent assistance for single mothers
- Low income assistance for single mothers
- Housing grants for single mothers
- Child care assistance for single mothers
Shelter and Housing grants for single mothers
If you need emergency shelter, Western New York’s 2-1-1 online database lists 16 different homeless shelters at this link. The database also lists 6 different places to turn to if you need help paying your rent at this link, and 4 groups and programs that might be able to help you make a mortgage payment at this link.
Energy and Utilities grants for single mothers
Erie County has a webpage devoted to its Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP) to provide assistance with home heating costs and energy conservation for eligible households. Program components include benefit assistance for heat and electricity, furnace repair or replacement, weatherization referral, and cooling assistance (in summer months, based on medical necessity). Find out more about single mother grants at this link.
Help with Telephone and Internet Bills
New York participates in the Lifeline telephone bill discount program. Find out more at this link.
Childcare grants for single mothers
The State of New York has a Child Care Subsidy Program that can help you pay for child care so you can go to work or school. Find out more at this link. Head Start and Early Head Start are wonderful child care programs for low-income families and single mothers that help get kids ready for school. In Buffalo and Erie County, the main provider is Community Action Organization of Erie County. Find out more at this link.
Help with Medical and Dental Care
If you’re low-income, you might qualify for New York state’s Medicaid program, which you can find out about at Erie County’s website at this link. Western New York’s 2-1-1 online database lists 17 places where you can get free or low-cost dental care at this link, and 31 places to get other kinds of medical care at this link.
Help with Legal Matters
If you need legal help or representation, Western New York’s 2-1-1 online database lists seven options, including Legal Aid Bureau of Buffalo, Neighborhood Legal Services, Western New York Law Center, Erie County Bar Association Volunteer Lawyers Project, and Positive People and Positive Families Program – VLP at this link.
Financial Counseling for single moms
If you need help with financial, debt, credit, and budget counseling services, Western New York’s 2-1-1 online database lists three options, including Consumer Credit Counseling Service of Buffalo, Housing Service (Foreclosure Prevention, Financial Literacy Program), and Housing Counseling – Belmont Housing Resources for WNY at this link.
Help for single parents from Other Groups
There are lots of groups in City Name that provide single parents all kinds of services related to many of the areas mention above, including the following:
Salvation Army Buffalo: Link.
St. Vincent de Paul Society Buffalo: Link.
Catholic Charities Buffalo: Link.
Western New York 2-1-1: Link.