If you are a single mother living in Denver and need help paying bills and meeting basic expenses, there are lots of options for getting the help you need.
Cash Assistance for single mothers
Denver Human Services (DHS) has a General Assistance (GA) program that can help with various things such as temporary shelter, food vouchers, medical and hygiene needs, and transportation. Catholic Charities and Community Services of the Archdiocese of Denver has an emergency assistance program (and has a lot of other assistance programs as well).
Food assistance for single mothers
Denver Human Services (DHS) will help you apply for SNAP Food Assistance. There are several different good lists of food pantries, food banks, and soup kitchens in the Denver area, including one at Homeless Shelter Directory and another at FoodPantries.Org, while Food Bank of the Rockies lets you do a search for food pantries by zip code. Metro Caring is another organization focused on hunger relief programs and assistance.
++ Popular grants for single mothers
- Section 8 Assistance Program for single mothers
- Low Income Assistance Programs for single mothers
- Foreclosure Assistance Programs for single mothers
- Mortgage assistance programs for single mothers
- Medical Bills Assistance Programs for single moms
- Get help with buying your medications
- Financial Assistance Programs for Women
- Organizations That Offer Free or Low-Cost Credit Counseling to single parents
- Local Church Assistance Programs for single moms
- Get Help from the Salvation Army
- Get Free Legal Assistance and Advice
- Help for single moms With Paying Off Student Loans
- Section 8 Assistance Program
- Catholic Charities Financial Assistance for single mothers
- Get Help Paying Electric Bills
- Get Help Paying Water Bills
- LIHEAP Energy Assistance Program for single mothers
- Low Income Assistance Programs
- Most Helpful Government Assistance Programs for single mothers
- Grants and Scholarships for Adults Back To School
- Assistance Programs for American Indians
- Assistance Programs for Hispanic single mothers
- Popular Charities that Help single mothers With Bills
- Financial Assistance Programs for Seniors
- Financial assistance programs for disabled
- Financial Assistance for Single Mothers
- Assistance Programs for African American single mothers
- Perkins loans for single mothers
- Children's health insurance program for single mothers
- Grants for single moms with no health insurance
- How to apply for government benefits
- Food stamps for single mothers
- Unemployment benefits for single mothers
- Grants for paying telephone bills
- Debt consolidation programs for single mothers
- Bankruptcy assistance for single mothers
- Government financial help for single mothers
- WIC program for single mothers
- Welfare benefits for single mothers
- Education grants for single mothers
- Cash assistance for single mothers
- College grants for single mothers
- Free scholarships for single mothers
- Rent assistance for single mothers
- Low income assistance for single mothers
- Housing grants for single mothers
- Child care assistance for single mothers
Help for single mothers with Shelter & Housing
Denver Human Services (DHS) has a General Assistance (GA) program that can help you if you’re homeless or at risk of becoming homeless by providing eviction assistance, deposit, first months’ rent and mortgage as well as emergency shelter and respite. Assistance with rent can be obtained in small amounts from different groups, including St. Paul Local Assistance Ministry and others that are listed here. Another good listing of shelter and housing help is available at DenverHomeless.org.
Energy assistance for single parents
Colorado’s Low-Income Energy Assistance Program (LEAP) is the first place to go. You might be able to supplement that assistance with help from Denver Urban Matters. Many of the groups listed at the end of this article also provide modest assistance with utilities.
Help with Telephone Bills
For a good page about getting help with telephone bills in Denver and elsewhere in Colorado, see Colorado Lifeline Information.
Childcare benefits for single mothers
Denver Human Services (DHS) has a Child Care Assistance Program (CCAP) to help needy families pay for childcare so parents can work.
Help with Medical Care
Denver Human Services (DHS) maintains an important and extensive list of medical assistance programs. Colorado Coalition for the Medically Underserved provides tons of information about getting affordable health insurance and free or reduced-cost medical care. Denver Colorado AIDS Project can provide assistance to those with HIV and AIDS. Kids in Need of Dentistry in Denver (KIND) has clinics that provide dental services to needy children as well as other helpful programs. FreeClinics.com also has a list of free and low-cost health clinics in Denver.
Help with Legal Matters
Low-income residents of Denver and surrounding areas can get legal help from Colorado Legal Services.
Help with Financial Counseling
Southwest Improvement Council offers credit counseling and debt reduction programs for low-income people, and other helpful programs as well.
Help from Other Groups
There are lots of groups in Denver that provide single mothers all kinds of services related to many of the areas mention above, including the following: