If you are a single mother living in Louisville and need help paying bills and meeting basic expenses, there are lots of options for getting the help you need.
Cash Assistance for single parents
Kentucky’s version of the Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) cash benefit program is called the Kentucky Transitional Assistance Program (K-TAP), which provides a short-term cash benefit to families with children younger than 8, or younger than 19 if a full-time secondary student. Most adults who receive K-TAP must participate in a work activity. If you are a single mother in need of assistance, get financial help today.
Help with Food
The state of Kentucky’s Cabinet for Health and Family Services participates in the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), which used to be called Food Stamps. The Louisville Metro Department of Community Services has several Food Assistance and Nutrition Programs. The Metro United Way website lists 18 soup kitchens in the Louisville area, 57 food pantries,
++ Popular grants for single mothers
- Section 8 Assistance Program for single mothers
- Low Income Assistance Programs for single mothers
- Foreclosure Assistance Programs for single mothers
- Mortgage assistance programs for single mothers
- Medical Bills Assistance Programs for single moms
- Get help with buying your medications
- Financial Assistance Programs for Women
- Organizations That Offer Free or Low-Cost Credit Counseling to single parents
- Local Church Assistance Programs for single moms
- Get Help from the Salvation Army
- Get Free Legal Assistance and Advice
- Help for single moms With Paying Off Student Loans
- Section 8 Assistance Program
- Catholic Charities Financial Assistance for single mothers
- Get Help Paying Electric Bills
- Get Help Paying Water Bills
- LIHEAP Energy Assistance Program for single mothers
- Low Income Assistance Programs
- Most Helpful Government Assistance Programs for single mothers
- Grants and Scholarships for Adults Back To School
- Assistance Programs for American Indians
- Assistance Programs for Hispanic single mothers
- Popular Charities that Help single mothers With Bills
- Financial Assistance Programs for Seniors
- Financial assistance programs for disabled
- Financial Assistance for Single Mothers
- Assistance Programs for African American single mothers
- Perkins loans for single mothers
- Children's health insurance program for single mothers
- Grants for single moms with no health insurance
- How to apply for government benefits
- Food stamps for single mothers
- Unemployment benefits for single mothers
- Grants for paying telephone bills
- Debt consolidation programs for single mothers
- Bankruptcy assistance for single mothers
- Government financial help for single mothers
- WIC program for single mothers
- Welfare benefits for single mothers
- Education grants for single mothers
- Cash assistance for single mothers
- College grants for single mothers
- Free scholarships for single mothers
- Rent assistance for single mothers
- Low income assistance for single mothers
- Housing grants for single mothers
- Child care assistance for single mothers
Shelter and Housing assistance for single moms
If you’ve become homeless or are a single mother at risk of becoming homeless, the Louisville Metro Department of Community Services has several different Homeless Services/Homeless Prevention programs. It also has a separate page for Housing and Rental Assistance Programs. The Metro United Way website lists 14 homeless shelters in the Louisville area.
Energy and Utilities grants for single moms
The Louisville Metro Department of Community Services has a page about getting help with energy bills through the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program, as well as programs to help you lower your energy bills, and also help create a payment plan if you’ve fallen behind in your water bills. The water bill program is called the Utility Empowerment Program.
Help with Telephone and Internet Bills
The Public Service Commission of Kentucky has an online brochure about telephone service programs for low-income consumers – the Lifeline program.
Childcare assistance for single mothers
The state of Kentucky’s Cabinet for Health and Family Services has a Child Care Assistance Program (CCAP) to provide access to quality child care that allows parents to work, attend education and training programs and/or participate in the Kentucky Temporary Assistance Program. The Louisville Metro Department of Community Services has a Pre-School Scholarships program that provides up to $5,000 towards pre-school tuition. Children can attend a pre-school, kindergarten, or childcare facility that offers a pre-school curriculum.
Help with Medical and Dental Care
If you’re without healthcare insurance, the Louisville Metro Department of Community Services has a page about Kynect – Kentucky’s healthcare connection.
Help with Legal Matters
The Legal Aid Society in Louisville exists to pursue justice for people in poverty by providing free legal services to the most disadvantaged in the community.
Financial Counseling for single mothers
The Louisville Metro Department of Community Services has a Financial Empowerment Services Center with a variety of helpful programs to provide financial counseling. It also has an even more focused Financial Education program that can help single parents.
Help for single mothers from Other Groups
There are lots of groups in Louisville that provide all kinds of services related to many of the areas mention above, including the following: