If you are a single mother living in New Orleans (LA) and need help paying bills and meeting basic expenses, there are lots of options for getting the help you need as a single mother.
Cash Assistance for single mothers
The Family Independence Temporary Assistance Program (FITAP) at this link provides cash assistance to families with children when the financial resources of the family are insufficient to meet subsistence needs. The overall goal of FITAP is to decrease the long-term dependency on welfare assistance by promoting job preparation and work.
Food grants for single mothers
The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) at this link provides monthly benefits that help low-income households buy the food they need. There is also the Louisiana Summer Food Service Program (SFSP) at this link, which provides children of needy families and single mothers from New Orleans with nutritious meals during the summer months when school is out. Additionally, there is Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) at this link. It is a Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for pregnant, breastfeeding, and postpartum women, infants, and children (under 5 years old). If you need more immediate assistance with food or meals, the Via Link 2-1-1 online database lists 55 different groups and programs that provide various kinds of food assistance, including food pantries and soup kitchens at this link (click on food).
Single mothers grants for Shelter & Housing
the Via Link 2-1-1 online database lists five different community shelters where you can spend the night in an emergency at this link (click on community shelter). Unity of Greater New Orleans has Transitional Housing Programs with both short and long-term (3 to 24 months) residential housing, congregate housing, or rental assistance in scattered site apartments for individuals or families experiencing homelessness at this link. New Orleans Women & Children’s Shelter is the largest organization dedicated to serving the most underserved and vulnerable population of Greater New Orleans, homeless women and children, at this link.
Energy assistance for single mothers
The Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) at this link provides qualified families and single mothers with assistance in meeting their monthly energy and utility bills.
Help with Telephone Bills
Louisiana participates in the Lifeline telephone bill discount program, and you apply through your carrier, such as AT&T at this link.
Help with Childcare
The Department of Education (LDE) of Louisiana operates the Child Care Assistance Program (CCAP) at this link, which helps low-income families pay for childcare while working or attending school or training. There are several different organizations providing Head Start and Early Head Start programming in New Orleans, including Catholic Charities New Orleans at this link, Total Community Action at this link, Urban League of Greater New Orleans at this link, and so on.
Medical Care for single moms
The City of New Orleans has a page devoted to the different clinics and other ways to get the medical care you need at this link. It also lists several different places to get free or low-cost dental care at this link. Healthcare for the Homeless is a primary care facility for the homeless (not an urgent care clinic) at this link. The city also has a page about getting access to healthcare through health insurance at this link. FreeClinics.com also provides an extensive list of all the free or low-cost health clinics, public health department clinics, and community health centers in New Orleans at this link. Louisiana Children’s Health Insurance Program (LaCHIP) is an important state program that provides health coverage to nearly eight million children and single mothers with incomes too high to qualify for Medicaid, but who can’t afford private coverage, at this link.
Help with Legal Matters
Louisiana legal information, resources, and representation for low-income folks can be obtained at Southeast Louisiana Legal services at this link. The Via Link 2-1-1 online database lists a few other options at this link (click on general legal aid or legal counseling).
Single mother Help with Financial Counseling
Consumer Credit Counseling Service (CCCS) of Greater New Orleans at this link is a non-profit community service agency dedicated to educating consumers in the wise and proper use of credit, and helping consumers to repay excessive debt.
Help for single moms from Other Groups
A few groups in New Orleans provide single parents all kinds of services related to many of the areas mention above, including the following:
Salvation Army New Orleans: Link.
Catholic Charities New Orleans: Link.
Society of St. Vincent de Paul New Orleans: Link.
++ Also read
- Section 8 Assistance Program for single mothers
- Low Income Assistance Programs for single mothers
- Foreclosure Assistance Programs for single mothers
- Mortgage assistance programs for single mothers
- Medical Bills Assistance Programs for single moms
- Get help with buying your medications
- Financial Assistance Programs for Women
- Organizations That Offer Free or Low-Cost Credit Counseling to single parents
- Local Church Assistance Programs for single moms
- Get Help from the Salvation Army
- Get Free Legal Assistance and Advice
- Help for single moms With Paying Off Student Loans
- Section 8 Assistance Program
- Catholic Charities Financial Assistance for single mothers
- Get Help Paying Electric Bills
- Get Help Paying Water Bills
- LIHEAP Energy Assistance Program for single mothers
- Low Income Assistance Programs
- Most Helpful Government Assistance Programs for single mothers
- Grants and Scholarships for Adults Back To School
- Assistance Programs for American Indians
- Assistance Programs for Hispanic single mothers
- Popular Charities that Help single mothers With Bills
- Financial Assistance Programs for Seniors
- Financial assistance programs for disabled
- Financial Assistance for Single Mothers
- Assistance Programs for African American single mothers
- Perkins loans for single mothers
- Children's health insurance program for single mothers
- Grants for single moms with no health insurance
- How to apply for government benefits
- Food stamps for single mothers
- Unemployment benefits for single mothers
- Grants for paying telephone bills
- Debt consolidation programs for single mothers
- Bankruptcy assistance for single mothers
- Government financial help for single mothers
- WIC program for single mothers
- Welfare benefits for single mothers
- Education grants for single mothers
- Cash assistance for single mothers
- College grants for single mothers
- Free scholarships for single mothers
- Rent assistance for single mothers
- Low income assistance for single mothers
- Housing grants for single mothers
- Child care assistance for single mothers