If you are a single mother living in Portland and need help paying bills and meeting basic expenses, there are lots of options for getting the help you need.
Cash Assistance for single moms
The State of Oregon has a cash assistance program called Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF). You can apply for this aid through The Department of Human Services (DHS) Self-Sufficiency office in your area.
Food assistance for single mothers
The Oregon Food Bank, headquartered in Portland, has the best list by far of all the different places you can go to get food and meals with its Food Finder, which returns 58 different options in and around Portland to meet your food needs.
++ Popular grants for single mothers
- Most Helpful Government Assistance Programs for single mothers
- Welfare benefits for single mothers
- Rent assistance for single mothers
- How to apply for government benefits
- Low income assistance for single mothers
- Housing grants for single mothers
- Child care assistance for single mothers
- Food stamps for single mothers
- Unemployment benefits for single mothers
- Grants for paying telephone bills
- Food assistance program for single mothers
- Education grants for single mothers
- Cash assistance for single mothers
- College grants for single mothers
- Free scholarships for single mothers
- Government financial help for single mothers
- Popular Charities that Help single mothers With Bills
- Section 8 Assistance Program for single mothers
- Low Income Assistance Programs for single mothers
- Foreclosure Assistance Programs for single mothers
- Mortgage assistance programs for single mothers
- Medical Bills Assistance Programs for single moms
- Get help with buying your medications
- Financial Assistance Programs for Women
- Organizations That Offer Free or Low-Cost Credit Counseling to single parents
- Local Church Assistance Programs for single moms
- Get Help from the Salvation Army
- Get Free Legal Assistance and Advice
- Help for single moms With Paying Off Student Loans
- Section 8 Assistance Program
- Catholic Charities Financial Assistance for single mothers
- Get Help Paying Electric Bills
- Get Help Paying Water Bills
- LIHEAP Energy Assistance Program for single mothers
- Low Income Assistance Programs
- Grants and Scholarships for Adults Back To School
- Assistance Programs for American Indians
- Assistance Programs for Hispanic single mothers
- Financial Assistance Programs for Seniors
- Financial assistance programs for disabled
- Financial Assistance for Single Mothers
- Assistance Programs for African American single mothers
- Perkins loans for single mothers
- Children's health insurance program for single mothers
- Grants for single moms with no health insurance
- Debt consolidation programs for single mothers
- Bankruptcy assistance for single mothers
Help with Shelter & Housing
If you are a single mother needing emergency shelter, the HomelessShelterDirectory provides a list of homeless shelters and services for the needy in Portland. Various housing assistance programs designed for lower income Oregonians operate through local Community Action Agencies (CAAs) and immediate help with housing can be obtained through 211 Info. You can find Low Cost Rental Housing assistance, Housing Resources for Farm-workers, Federally funded subsidized housing local offices or search a database for Subsidized Housing in Oregon. If you are in a housing crisis, the Home Forward Short-Term Help Paying Rent program can help single mothers pay rent or mortgage until they get back on feet.
Energy and Utilities assistance for single parents
The Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) provides financial help to low-income households and single moms in meeting the costs of home heating and cooling. The Portland Water Bureaus financial assistance programs can help with various water-related costs. Multnomah County’s Energy Assistance Community Service Partners page lists a number of groups who help out with energy bills. The Portland General Electric Bill Payment Assistance page lists a few options, and Self Enhancement, Inc.’s Energy Assistance Program will help people get enrolled into as many programs as possible.
Telephone Bills assistance for single mothers
The Oregon Telephone Assistance Program participates in the Lifeline telephone discount program.
Childcare assistance for single moms
Oregon’s Department of Human Services offers child care assistance through its Employment Related Day Care (ERDC) program. Portland Community College has a list of child care providers where students attending PCC can get subsidized care for the their children.
Help with Medical and Dental Care
Places to get free or reduced dental and medical care can be found on the following lists:
FreeClinics.com Portland OR (lists 15 clinics)
NeedMyMeds Portland (lists 40 options)
Help with Legal Matters
Low-income folks who need help with legal issues can turn to Legal Aid Services of Oregon (LASO), which has a regional office in Portland.
Help with Financial Counseling
Credit counseling in Portland, Oregon by ClearPoint is just one of many national companies that do credit counseling in Portland.
Help for single mothers from Other Groups
Some life-changing groups in Portland provide services related to different crises single mothers may be facing in their lives: