If you are a single mother living in Wichita and need help paying bills and meeting basic expenses, there are lots of options for getting the help you need.
Cash Assistance for single parents
The Kansas Department for Children and Families runs a cash assistance program called the Successful Families Program, which is the state’s version of Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF). Find out more about the program at this link. The 2-1-1 Kansas online database lists a total of 73 different groups and programs that provide temporary cash assistance for all kinds of purposes to families and single mothers at this link.
Single mother assistance with Food
In the state of Kansas the Food Assistance Program is its version of the federal Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) program, formerly called Food Stamps. Find out more about the program here. If you need more immediate assistance with food or meals, the 2-1-1 Kansas online database lists 34 different food pantries available to help at this link, and 44 different places you can when you need to get a good meal at this link.
Single mother help with Shelter & Housing
Comcare is Sedgwick County’s homeless prevention program. If you’re homeless, find out more information about the program at this link. The county also runs a Section 8 (Housing choice Voucher) Program for rental subsidies, which you can find out about at this link. If you need emergency lodging, the 2-1-1 Kansas online database lists five different homeless shelters at this link, which is surprisingly few but matches up with other directory listings for the area. The 2-1-1 database also lists two places you can go for mortgage payment assistance at this link, and four places to turn when you need rent payment assistance at this link.
Energy grants for single moms
The Kansas Low Income Energy Assistance Program (LIEAP) is a federally funded program that helps eligible families and single mothers pay a portion of their home energy costs by providing a one-time per year benefit at this link. Also, the Kansas The Kansas Housing Resource Corporation’s Weatherization Assistance Program (WAP) provides grants to low-income earners of Wichita to improve the energy efficiency of their homes at this link. In addition, the 2-1-1 Kansas online database lists 7 different groups and programs that will help you pay your utility bills at this link.
Telephone Bills assistance for single mothers
Check to see if you’re eligible for the Lifeline telephone bill discount program at this link. Although the discount is only around $17/month – that adds up more than $200 in savings each year.
Single mother help with Childcare
The State of Kansas has a Child Care Subsidy Program that helps pay for child care costs. Find out more about the program at this link. Child Start is the group that runs all the Early Head Start and Head Start program in and around Wichita. Find out more at this link.
Help with Medical Care
The Kansas Division of Health Care Finance (DHCF) is responsible for purchasing health services for children, pregnant women, people with disabilities, the aged, and the elderly through the Medicaid program, the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP), and the state-funded KanCare program. Find out more and apply for medical assistance at this link. Sedwick County has an extensive list of community medical and dental clinics along with guidelines about when and where to seek care at this link. It also has a list of medical clinics at this link. The 2-1-1 Kansas online database lists 16 different community clinics in Wichita at this link.
Help with Legal Matters
If you require some legal assistance you can visit Kansas Legal Services, a statewide non-profit corporation devoted to helping low income Kansans meet their basic needs through the provision of important legal and mediation services. Find out more at this link.
Help with Financial Counseling
If you are looking for credit counseling and debt consolidation, the best option is CreditGUARD of America, a nonprofit organization that will empower you to become financially independent. Find out more about single mother assistance at this link.
Help for single parents from Other Groups
There are lots of groups in Wichita that provide all kinds of services related to many of the areas mention above, including the following:
Salvation Army Wichita: Link.
Catholic Charities Wichita: Link.
++ Also read
- Section 8 Assistance Program for single mothers
- Low Income Assistance Programs for single mothers
- Foreclosure Assistance Programs for single mothers
- Mortgage assistance programs for single mothers
- Medical Bills Assistance Programs for single moms
- Get help with buying your medications
- Financial Assistance Programs for Women
- Organizations That Offer Free or Low-Cost Credit Counseling to single parents
- Local Church Assistance Programs for single moms
- Get Help from the Salvation Army
- Get Free Legal Assistance and Advice
- Help for single moms With Paying Off Student Loans
- Section 8 Assistance Program
- Catholic Charities Financial Assistance for single mothers
- Get Help Paying Electric Bills
- Get Help Paying Water Bills
- LIHEAP Energy Assistance Program for single mothers
- Low Income Assistance Programs
- Most Helpful Government Assistance Programs for single mothers
- Grants and Scholarships for Adults Back To School
- Assistance Programs for American Indians
- Assistance Programs for Hispanic single mothers
- Popular Charities that Help single mothers With Bills
- Financial Assistance Programs for Seniors
- Financial assistance programs for disabled
- Financial Assistance for Single Mothers
- Assistance Programs for African American single mothers
- Perkins loans for single mothers
- Children's health insurance program for single mothers
- Grants for single moms with no health insurance
- How to apply for government benefits
- Food stamps for single mothers
- Unemployment benefits for single mothers
- Grants for paying telephone bills
- Debt consolidation programs for single mothers
- Bankruptcy assistance for single mothers
- Government financial help for single mothers
- WIC program for single mothers
- Welfare benefits for single mothers
- Education grants for single mothers
- Cash assistance for single mothers
- College grants for single mothers
- Free scholarships for single mothers
- Rent assistance for single mothers
- Low income assistance for single mothers
- Housing grants for single mothers
- Child care assistance for single mothers