Housing Choice Voucher Program for Single Mothers

Single mothers should have access to affordable homes. The Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) Program provides you with rental assistance from housing agencies in your area. Renters are still required to pay their rent on time. The HCV program gives single mothers the help they need to live in decent housing and raise their families successfully.

What it is:

The Section 8 Housing administers funds to landlords who house low-income individuals and families, including single mothers, the disabled and the elderly. In the U.S., more than 4 million residents live in public housing units. The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) is a federal agency that administers funds to local public housing agencies (PHAs).

Sponsored links

The Housing Choice Voucher program helps pay the rent and utilities for thousands of single mothers and their children. If you qualify for the program, you must find an approved housing unit and a landlord who participates in the program. If authorized by the PHA, recipients may be able to save the vouchers to buy a home.

How it works:

The Housing Choice Voucher Program provides monthly vouchers for low-income rental assistance. For each household, the maximum amount is $2,000 per month. The funds give tenants the opportunity to move from one affordable housing unit to another.

The two main types of the program are tenant or project-based. Project based vouchers require you to live in specific apartment buildings, and tenant based ones allow you to live in any Section 8 housing unit in the U.S.

A PHA representative determines your eligibility. You must be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen. Your family income cannot exceed 50% of your county’s median income. Contact your local PHA to find out the income limits in your area and review other eligibility requirements.

The PHA representative verifies any information you give to them, including income, employment, and family size. The PHA bases your rental amount on your resources and comes up with an affordable monthly rate.

If you are eligible, you will be tended to immediately or placed on a waiting list. The list may be long, depending on current housing demands. Preferences are given to homeless or displaced people and those paying more than half of their income for rent.

If approved for the program, you are required to sign the lease and follow program requirements. You are allowed to move between units if you give advance notice to the PHA.

How to apply:

Find a local public housing agency that provides HCV information. Search by city and state, find the closest office to you and ask about local eligibility requirements. You can also find a HUD (Department of Housing and Urban Development) office near you. Visit the website link for more information.

Work with HUD-approved housing choice vouchers to find affordable housing as you pursue an education or a career. For single mothers, it is the chance to save money and look for better opportunities. To benefit from this program, learn more about the basics and see if you qualify.

++ Also read