This website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, expressed or implied. Singlemothersgrants.org makes no representations or warranties in relation to this website or the information and materials provided on this website.

Without prejudice to the generality of the foregoing paragraph, Singlemothersgrants.org does not warrant that: 1. this website will be constantly available, or available at all; or 2. the information on this website is complete, true, accurate or non-misleading.

We reserve the right to discontinue or alter any or all of our website services, and to stop publishing our website, at any time in our sole discretion without notice or explanation; and save to the extent expressly provided otherwise in this disclaimer, you will not be entitled to any compensation or other payment upon the discontinuance or alteration of any website services, or if we stop publishing the website.

Housing programs that help single mothers with home ownership

Sponsored links

Single mothers often struggle financially to make ends meet. However, there are housing programs that can help them and others who are living on a low-income to still attain home ownership. Here are some you can turn to.

Section 8 Housing

Section 8 housing, also known as the Housing Choice Voucher program, offers rental assistance to low-income residents. Receive a voucher as high as $2,000 per month to rent or buy property. Contact your local public housing agency (PHA) to apply. Visit the website link for more information.

The Operation HOPE Home Buyers Program

Operation HOPE has a program to help low-income home buyers. The main benefits are FDIC-approved loans, down payment assistance and first-time buying assistance. Apply by contacting the HOPE office in your city. For questions, call the center at (888) 388-4673 or visit the website link for more information.

++ Popular grants for single mothers

Shelter Plus Care Program

Shelter Plus Care (S+C) provides rental assistance to disabled and homeless populations. There are four types of programs: tenant-based, sponsor-based, project-based and Section 8 moderate rehabilitation for single room occupancy (SRO). Contact the nearest HUD field office to apply, and visit the website link for more information.

USDA Rural Development Housing Assistance

The Single Family Housing Guaranteed Loan Program helps lenders to help low-income renters and homeowners who are located in rural areas. To apply, choose an approved lender from a list and contact the lender directly. USDA Rural Development has dozens of other assistance programs for lenders and borrowers. Visit the website link for more information.

FHA Insured Loans

The Federal Housing Administration (FHA) provides FHA insured loans that give low-income single mothers the opportunity to buy homes. Pay affordable down payments and fees for an FHA-approved mortgage loan. Obtain the loan by contacting an FHA-approved lender or broker. Visit the website link for more information.

Habitat for Humanity Housing Solution

Habitat for Humanity has a program to help you build or repair affordable homes. To participate in the program, pay a small down payment and contribute sweat equity to build your home. Contact a nearby Habitat office if you are interested. Visit the website link for more information or call 1-800-422-4828 for help.


The United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) has a Rural Development department that provides over 50 financial aid programs for rural dwelling. The Single Family Housing Guaranteed Loan Program helps lenders to provide affordable properties in rural neighborhoods. Single Family Housing Direct Home Loans are subsidies offered as financial assistance to rural homeowners. Visit the website link for more information.

HUD Homes for Sale

The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) has a directory of economical homes for sale. Search for your property based on state, city and type of HUD Special Program. Visit the website link for more information.

Bridge of Hope Housing Assistance

Bridge of Hope provides housing assistance to single mothers and their children. They assist homeless or low-income single mothers in their search for transitional or permanent housing. To see if there is a Bridge of Hope center near you, visit the website link for more information.

First Time Homebuyer Tax Credit

First time homebuyers qualify to receive tax credits from the IRS. If you bought your house from 2008 to 2010, you may qualify for a reduced tax bill or an increased tax refund. File the appropriate tax return form to claim the credit. Visit the website link for more information.

Whether you need tax credits or financial counseling classes, there are assistance programs in place for you. Contact these organizations to help you find an affordable home.

++ Also read