Single mothers often struggle financially to make ends meet. However, there are housing programs that can help them and others who are living on a low-income to still attain home ownership. Here are some you can turn to.
Section 8 Housing
Section 8 housing, also known as the Housing Choice Voucher program, offers rental assistance to low-income residents. Receive a voucher as high as $2,000 per month to rent or buy property. Contact your local public housing agency (PHA) to apply. Visit the website link for more information.
The Operation HOPE Home Buyers Program
Operation HOPE has a program to help low-income home buyers. The main benefits are FDIC-approved loans, down payment assistance and first-time buying assistance. Apply by contacting the HOPE office in your city. For questions, call the center at (888) 388-4673 or visit the website link for more information.
Shelter Plus Care Program
Shelter Plus Care (S+C) provides rental assistance to disabled and homeless populations. There are four types of programs: tenant-based, sponsor-based, project-based and Section 8 moderate rehabilitation for single room occupancy (SRO). Contact the nearest HUD field office to apply, and visit the website link for more information.
USDA Rural Development Housing Assistance
The Single Family Housing Guaranteed Loan Program helps lenders to help low-income renters and homeowners who are located in rural areas. To apply, choose an approved lender from a list and contact the lender directly. USDA Rural Development has dozens of other assistance programs for lenders and borrowers. Visit the website link for more information.
FHA Insured Loans
The Federal Housing Administration (FHA) provides FHA insured loans that give low-income single mothers the opportunity to buy homes. Pay affordable down payments and fees for an FHA-approved mortgage loan. Obtain the loan by contacting an FHA-approved lender or broker. Visit the website link for more information.
Habitat for Humanity Housing Solution
Habitat for Humanity has a program to help you build or repair affordable homes. To participate in the program, pay a small down payment and contribute sweat equity to build your home. Contact a nearby Habitat office if you are interested. Visit the website link for more information or call 1-800-422-4828 for help.
The United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) has a Rural Development department that provides over 50 financial aid programs for rural dwelling. The Single Family Housing Guaranteed Loan Program helps lenders to provide affordable properties in rural neighborhoods. Single Family Housing Direct Home Loans are subsidies offered as financial assistance to rural homeowners. Visit the website link for more information.
HUD Homes for Sale
The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) has a directory of economical homes for sale. Search for your property based on state, city and type of HUD Special Program. Visit the website link for more information.
Bridge of Hope Housing Assistance
Bridge of Hope provides housing assistance to single mothers and their children. They assist homeless or low-income single mothers in their search for transitional or permanent housing. To see if there is a Bridge of Hope center near you, visit the website link for more information.
First Time Homebuyer Tax Credit
First time homebuyers qualify to receive tax credits from the IRS. If you bought your house from 2008 to 2010, you may qualify for a reduced tax bill or an increased tax refund. File the appropriate tax return form to claim the credit. Visit the website link for more information.
Whether you need tax credits or financial counseling classes, there are assistance programs in place for you. Contact these organizations to help you find an affordable home.
++ Also read
- Section 8 Assistance Program for single mothers
- Low Income Assistance Programs for single mothers
- Foreclosure Assistance Programs for single mothers
- Mortgage assistance programs for single mothers
- Medical Bills Assistance Programs for single moms
- Get help with buying your medications
- Financial Assistance Programs for Women
- Organizations That Offer Free or Low-Cost Credit Counseling to single parents
- Local Church Assistance Programs for single moms
- Get Help from the Salvation Army
- Get Free Legal Assistance and Advice
- Help for single moms With Paying Off Student Loans
- Section 8 Assistance Program
- Catholic Charities Financial Assistance for single mothers
- Get Help Paying Electric Bills
- Get Help Paying Water Bills
- LIHEAP Energy Assistance Program for single mothers
- Low Income Assistance Programs
- Most Helpful Government Assistance Programs for single mothers
- Grants and Scholarships for Adults Back To School
- Assistance Programs for American Indians
- Assistance Programs for Hispanic single mothers
- Popular Charities that Help single mothers With Bills
- Financial Assistance Programs for Seniors
- Financial assistance programs for disabled
- Financial Assistance for Single Mothers
- Assistance Programs for African American single mothers
- Perkins loans for single mothers
- Children's health insurance program for single mothers
- Grants for single moms with no health insurance
- How to apply for government benefits
- Food stamps for single mothers
- Unemployment benefits for single mothers
- Grants for paying telephone bills
- Debt consolidation programs for single mothers
- Bankruptcy assistance for single mothers
- Government financial help for single mothers
- WIC program for single mothers
- Welfare benefits for single mothers
- Education grants for single mothers
- Cash assistance for single mothers
- College grants for single mothers
- Free scholarships for single mothers
- Rent assistance for single mothers
- Low income assistance for single mothers
- Housing grants for single mothers
- Child care assistance for single mothers