There are a lot of government benefits that can assist single mothers that are on a very limited income. On this page we’ll be showing single mothers what kinds of benefits are available, and we’ll also be discussing the matter of how to apply for single mother assistance when the need arises.
Government Benefits for single mothers
Most state Human Services or Social Services Departments offer financial assistance to low-income members of communities via the block grants that are provided by the federal government.
The United States Government provides American citizens with an easy way to find applicable benefits in their state or territory. This service is an online resource provider, called Benefits.gov. The site can be used to see what government benefits are available in which states, and it also shows you how to apply for specific programs.
What Benefits Are Available?
There are quite a few federal assistance programs that offer benefits to low-income families and individuals. These include:
Unemployment Benefits for single mothers
These benefits can provide you with cash assistance when you are unemployed and you meet eligibility requirements. Unemployment benefits may also include educational assistance, and self-employment assistance, depending on your situation and previous employment history.
You’ll have to contact your State Unemployment Insurance Office, which has its own set of requirements that need to be met in order to qualify for benefits.
Food Stamp Benefits for single mothers
The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) is what’s known as the Food Stamps initiative, and it provides low-income families with the means of paying for supplemental food supplies.
You’ll have to meet eligibility requirements before you can qualify for the food stamps program, but you may be eligible for benefits if you are already on support such as TANF or Medicaid. You can either submit an online application form, or you can contact your local SNAP Office in order to submit an application in person. Once your application has been processed, you may or may not receive an Electronic Benefit Card, which can then be used to pay for foods at participating retail stores.
Welfare or Temporary Assistance for Needy Families
The TANF program, also known as Welfare provides eligible low-income families with once-off cash loans in order to help them pay for expenses such as child care, housing, and food supplies. Applicants must meet income and work requirements to qualify for cash benefits.
Applying for Temporary Assistance for Needy Families benefits means you’ll have to get in touch with your local TANF office in order to apply for financial help.
Medical Benefits for single mothers
Medicaid and the Children’s Health Insurance Plan (CHIP) are federally-funded healthcare assistance programs that ensure that families that are on a very limited income have access to quality, affordable medical and dental care services.
You’ll have to call the State Healthcare Office in your area if you plan to apply for either Medicaid or CHIP benefits. You can also call the hotline at 1-877-543-7669 if you need to be out in contact with your state’s programs.
If you are unable to contact any one of your local program offices you can get in touch with the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services in order to be redirected to the correct contact persons. You can call the hotline at 1-844-872-4681 or send them an email if you would like electronic correspondence.
We hope that you’re now armed with all the information you’ll need to apply for government benefits at your local state departments if the need should ever present itself.
++ Also read
- Section 8 Assistance Program for single mothers
- Low Income Assistance Programs for single mothers
- Foreclosure Assistance Programs for single mothers
- Mortgage assistance programs for single mothers
- Medical Bills Assistance Programs for single moms
- Get help with buying your medications
- Financial Assistance Programs for Women
- Organizations That Offer Free or Low-Cost Credit Counseling to single parents
- Local Church Assistance Programs for single moms
- Get Help from the Salvation Army
- Get Free Legal Assistance and Advice
- Help for single moms With Paying Off Student Loans
- Section 8 Assistance Program
- Catholic Charities Financial Assistance for single mothers
- Get Help Paying Electric Bills
- Get Help Paying Water Bills
- LIHEAP Energy Assistance Program for single mothers
- Low Income Assistance Programs
- Most Helpful Government Assistance Programs for single mothers
- Grants and Scholarships for Adults Back To School
- Assistance Programs for American Indians
- Assistance Programs for Hispanic single mothers
- Popular Charities that Help single mothers With Bills
- Financial Assistance Programs for Seniors
- Financial assistance programs for disabled
- Financial Assistance for Single Mothers
- Assistance Programs for African American single mothers
- Perkins loans for single mothers
- Children's health insurance program for single mothers
- Grants for single moms with no health insurance
- How to apply for government benefits
- Food stamps for single mothers
- Unemployment benefits for single mothers
- Grants for paying telephone bills
- Debt consolidation programs for single mothers
- Bankruptcy assistance for single mothers
- Government financial help for single mothers
- WIC program for single mothers
- Welfare benefits for single mothers
- Education grants for single mothers
- Cash assistance for single mothers
- College grants for single mothers
- Free scholarships for single mothers
- Rent assistance for single mothers
- Low income assistance for single mothers
- Housing grants for single mothers
- Child care assistance for single mothers