Legal Assistance for single parents
Where can you turn if you need legal help, but you cannot afford it? There are legal aid organizations and attorneys that provide assistance at no charge to eligible persons. Why attempt to navigate the legal system on your own when there are legal professionals who offer their services?
Legal Assistance Foundation
The Legal Aid Foundation (LAF) provides free legal assistance to single momsliving in poverty. The LAF can assist eligible individuals and families with cases involving children, consumer issues, housing, worker’s rights and public benefits. The foundation does not handle criminal cases. Contact the LAF at 312-341-1070 or visit the website.
Center for Disability and Elder Law
The Center for Disability and Elder Law (CDEL) provides free legal assistance for low-income seniors and persons with disabilities. The CDEL can help qualified persons with situations including financial abuse, uncontested divorce, eviction, power of attorney and more. For additional information call 312-376-1880. You can also go to the website for more details.
Food Resources for single mothers
There are people in Chicago that need food. America may be the land of plenty but not for everyone. Fortunately, there are humanitarian organizations that strive to feed those in need. Do not hesitate to accept help even if it may feel awkward. There is enough food to feed everyone.
- Community Kitchen
The Community Kitchen serves hot, nutritious meals 365 days a year to anyone in need. Everyone is welcome. There are several services offered by the Community Kitchen including child and family nutrition, food pantry and nutrition counseling. Have a look at the communityKitchen website for additional information or call 773- 262-2297.
- Food Pantry Locater
Use this page to locate food pantries and kitchens.
- Ravenswood Community Services
Ravenswood provides assistance through the food bank and the mobile food pantry. If you need food call 773-768-0282 or visit the website to learn more
- The Food Circle
The Food Circle rescues groceries from local food stores for low-income individuals and families. Every Monday and Thursday the Food Circle provides grocery bags to those in need. The program distributes groceries via a lottery system. Recipients must arrive between 12:00 p.m. and 12:15 p.m. to receive a number. On Mondays, the Food Circle is held at the 18th District Police Station located at 1160 N. Larrabee Dt. on Mondays and the 11th District Police Station at 3151 W. Harrison Street Thursdays. Contact the Food Circle office at 773-313-0075 for specifics.
Eviction and Foreclosure Assistance for single mothers
Lawyers Committee for Better Housing
It is the mission of the Lawyers’ Committee for Better Housing (LCBH) to provide legal and supportive services, to improve housing stability for low-income renters while advocating for the rights of all renters until everyone in Chicago has a safe, decent, and affordable place to call home.
The Lawyers Committee for Better Housing provides free legal assistance to eligible low-income and general renters. LCBH can assist tenants with all areas of eviction law. Renters have rights and responsibilities, as do landlords. Learn about the law governing your situation. More information on single mother grants is available at 312-347-7600 or online.
Chancery Advice Desk
The Chancery Advice Desk provides free legal consultations to persons representing themselves in cases pending in the division. Attorneys are available to offer legal advice and aid with basic court pleadings. The attorneys do not represent clients in judicial proceedings.
Richard J. Daley Center CL16 50 Washington Monday – Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. No calls or appointments.
Circuit Court of Cook County Mortgage Foreclosure Mediation
This program offers free legal aid and mediation assistance for homeowners facing foreclosure. Discover the facts regarding the mediation process or call 877-895-2444.
Chicago Transit Authority Savings
The Chicago Transit Authority (CTA) offers free rides and reduced fares to eligible persons through several programs. Students may qualify for reduced fares. Read about the Military Service Pass, Senior Ride Free, and People with Disabilities Ride Free services. Call the CTA at 888-YOUR-CTA , TTY 888-CTA-TTY1.
Utility Assistance for single moms
Are you a single mom behind on your utility bill? Have you received a disconnect notice? These organizations can assist with utility bill payments for qualified individuals and families.
The Emergency Fund is five programs, three of which provide financial assistance for eligible persons to pay their utilities. Call 877-426-6515 or learn more about the organization.
Peoples Gas Natural Gas Delivery
Peoples Gas has several programs for eligible individuals and families to help pay for utility bills. Call 866-556-6001 or see the website for details on how to apply.
Free Medical Care for single parents
Community Health Organization
Serving the uninsured single mothers. Call for appointment times. 773-395-9900 Visit the website to learn about medical assistance.
++ Also read
- Section 8 Assistance Program for single mothers
- Low Income Assistance Programs for single mothers
- Foreclosure Assistance Programs for single mothers
- Mortgage assistance programs for single mothers
- Medical Bills Assistance Programs for single moms
- Get help with buying your medications
- Financial Assistance Programs for Women
- Organizations That Offer Free or Low-Cost Credit Counseling to single parents
- Local Church Assistance Programs for single moms
- Get Help from the Salvation Army
- Get Free Legal Assistance and Advice
- Help for single moms With Paying Off Student Loans
- Section 8 Assistance Program
- Catholic Charities Financial Assistance for single mothers
- Get Help Paying Electric Bills
- Get Help Paying Water Bills
- LIHEAP Energy Assistance Program for single mothers
- Low Income Assistance Programs
- Most Helpful Government Assistance Programs for single mothers
- Grants and Scholarships for Adults Back To School
- Assistance Programs for American Indians
- Assistance Programs for Hispanic single mothers
- Popular Charities that Help single mothers With Bills
- Financial Assistance Programs for Seniors
- Financial assistance programs for disabled
- Financial Assistance for Single Mothers
- Assistance Programs for African American single mothers
- Perkins loans for single mothers
- Children's health insurance program for single mothers
- Grants for single moms with no health insurance
- How to apply for government benefits
- Food stamps for single mothers
- Unemployment benefits for single mothers
- Grants for paying telephone bills
- Debt consolidation programs for single mothers
- Bankruptcy assistance for single mothers
- Government financial help for single mothers
- WIC program for single mothers
- Welfare benefits for single mothers
- Education grants for single mothers
- Cash assistance for single mothers
- College grants for single mothers
- Free scholarships for single mothers
- Rent assistance for single mothers
- Low income assistance for single mothers
- Housing grants for single mothers
- Child care assistance for single mothers