This discount resource is for seniors living in Hawaii. Senior discounts offered are for a variety of businesses including Chilis, Longs Drugs, Ross, and Consolidated Theatres. Visit this web page for a list of resources for seniors. You might also be interested in this discount list.
Homeless Shelters and Services
People do not plan to be homeless. For some, a missed paycheck or two will mean living on the street or a family sleeping under a bridge. Some homeless are victims of domestic violence while others have lost jobs, physical and mental health concerns or lost their homes to eviction.
The Institute for Human Services (IHS) is a complete social services agency working to prevent and end homelessness in Hawaii. IHS is a private non-profit solution oriented organization.
IHS – Our mission is to provide “respite for those who are unsheltered and solutions that transform the lives of homeless and at-risk people.” Our vision is“a community where everyone has a right to, and responsibility for safe, decent, and affordable housing.” IHS provides emergency food and shelter to the homeless and those in greatest need. Other services include community food programs, health care, outreach, employment, and even more services.
SNAP program for single mothers
In Hawaii, the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program or SNAP helps supplement food purchases for eligible low-income single mothers and families. The program is the cornerstone of the Federal government’s food assistance programs with over 200,000 recipients in Hawaii.
Eligible single moms receive benefits through an Electronic Benefits Transfer (EBT) card. The EBT card is similar to a bank debit card both in appearance and use. SNAP benefits can be used to buy most foods from retail groceries. They cannot be used for hot meals ready to eat, food to be cooked and eaten in the store, soap products, paper products, tobacco, alcohol and pet food. SNAP purchases using the EBT are intended as a supplement to your food budget. If you need additional assistance take advantage of community gardens and food pantries.
Consumer Credit Counseling Services (CCCS) of Hawaii
It is the mission of CCCS to help oveburdened families regain control of their financial lives through one on one counseling and to educate the community at large on the responsible use of credit. If your debts are greater than your income will cover you need professional assistance. It is possible to learn new ways to handle your money that will improve your life and the vitality of the community. Discover what help is available for single mothers through CCCS.
1164 Bishop St. Suite 1614
Honolulu, HI 96813
Maui, Kauai, Molokai & Lanai
Walter Cameron Center
95 Mahalani St., Suite 6
Wailuku, HI 96793
632 Kinoole Street
Hilo, HI 96720
Telephone Discount for single parents
A telephone is a necessity, not a luxury.
While some people are standing in line for the next hi-tech phone fix, there are others who cannot afford even basic wireline (landline) phone service. For those qualified for assistance, Lifeline can help. Lifeline is a federally funded program that offers eligible single mothers a discount on their basic monthly local telephone bill.
Lifeline can only be used for the main telephone line in a household. The name on your phone bill must match the name of the participant in the eligible program
Link-Up is another telephone service discount. It provides individuals and families a one-time discount for service connection charges when establishing new residential phone service for the first time. Link-Up does not cover the cost of wiring inside the home.
Note: The FCC has phased out Link-Up except to those that live on tribal lands, which includes Hawaiian Home Lands. Continue reading to learn more.
Free Medical Care for single mothers
Kokua Kalihi Valley Comprehensive Family Services, KKV
The Kokua Kalihi Valley Comprehensive Family Services (KKV) was created as a non-profit in 1972 by the Kalihi Valley community in response to the absence of accessible and appropriate health care services for the valley’s low-income, immigrant Asian, and Pacific Island population. Today KKV employs 160 staff who are fluent in 20 Asian and Pacific Island languages and dialects and work out of nine locations throughout the valley. KKV serves over 10,000 community members each year. Call for more information about free services offered 808-791-9419 or 808 791-9400. Have a look at the website for more information about KKV.
Here you will find a directory of free or low cost medical clinics for single mothers .
++ Also read
- Section 8 Assistance Program for single mothers
- Low Income Assistance Programs for single mothers
- Foreclosure Assistance Programs for single mothers
- Mortgage assistance programs for single mothers
- Medical Bills Assistance Programs for single moms
- Get help with buying your medications
- Financial Assistance Programs for Women
- Organizations That Offer Free or Low-Cost Credit Counseling to single parents
- Local Church Assistance Programs for single moms
- Get Help from the Salvation Army
- Get Free Legal Assistance and Advice
- Help for single moms With Paying Off Student Loans
- Section 8 Assistance Program
- Catholic Charities Financial Assistance for single mothers
- Get Help Paying Electric Bills
- Get Help Paying Water Bills
- LIHEAP Energy Assistance Program for single mothers
- Low Income Assistance Programs
- Most Helpful Government Assistance Programs for single mothers
- Grants and Scholarships for Adults Back To School
- Assistance Programs for American Indians
- Assistance Programs for Hispanic single mothers
- Popular Charities that Help single mothers With Bills
- Financial Assistance Programs for Seniors
- Financial assistance programs for disabled
- Financial Assistance for Single Mothers
- Assistance Programs for African American single mothers
- Perkins loans for single mothers
- Children's health insurance program for single mothers
- Grants for single moms with no health insurance
- How to apply for government benefits
- Food stamps for single mothers
- Unemployment benefits for single mothers
- Grants for paying telephone bills
- Debt consolidation programs for single mothers
- Bankruptcy assistance for single mothers
- Government financial help for single mothers
- WIC program for single mothers
- Welfare benefits for single mothers
- Education grants for single mothers
- Cash assistance for single mothers
- College grants for single mothers
- Free scholarships for single mothers
- Rent assistance for single mothers
- Low income assistance for single mothers
- Housing grants for single mothers
- Child care assistance for single mothers