Supplemental Nutritional Assistance Program (SNAP) for single moms
Every day in America there are people who go without food. Programs such as SNAP assist persons with low incomes and single moms in purchasing nutritious foods. SNAP is a Federal assistance agency that provides a monthly allotment of food benefits issued via Electronic Benefit Transfer (EBT) cards. SNAP food benefits may be used to purchase most foods at any participating store. Benefits cannot be used to buy non-food items including pet food, paper products, soap products, tobacco or alcohol. Learn more about the SNAP program at an administering benefits office. Find out about EBT cards.
North Carolina has 100 counties and each county has a local Social Services agency. Select the county to view phone numbers, physical addresses, and mailing addresses.You can apply for SNAP and other assistance programs locally or sign up online. If you need immediate help with food call the Customer Service Center 866-719-0141 or 877-452-2514 (TTY).
Legal Aid of North Carolina
Legal issues can be complicated. If you have a civil legal matter, you need professional legal advice. If you cannot afford an attorney, you do not have to give up. Legal Aid of North Carolina (LANC) is a statewide, nonprofit law firm that provides legal services in civil matters to low-income persons to ensure equal access to justice and to remove barriers to economic opportunity. LANC can help individuals, families and communities with legal problems affecting basic human needs including family, housing, education, employment and income. LANC offers free legal help to low- income and others with situations such as domestic abuse, evictions, foreclosures, denial of government benefits, consumer debts, wills and powers of attorney. LANC does not handle criminal cases. Locate a Legal Aid office by county, city or map or apply for assistance online. To read the website in Spanish continue here. You can contact the LANC HelpLine at 866-219-5262.
++ Popular grants for single mothers
- Most Helpful Government Assistance Programs for single mothers
- Welfare benefits for single mothers
- Rent assistance for single mothers
- How to apply for government benefits
- Low income assistance for single mothers
- Housing grants for single mothers
- Child care assistance for single mothers
- Food stamps for single mothers
- Unemployment benefits for single mothers
- Grants for paying telephone bills
- Food assistance program for single mothers
- Education grants for single mothers
- Cash assistance for single mothers
- College grants for single mothers
- Free scholarships for single mothers
- Government financial help for single mothers
- Popular Charities that Help single mothers With Bills
- Section 8 Assistance Program for single mothers
- Low Income Assistance Programs for single mothers
- Foreclosure Assistance Programs for single mothers
- Mortgage assistance programs for single mothers
- Medical Bills Assistance Programs for single moms
- Get help with buying your medications
- Financial Assistance Programs for Women
- Organizations That Offer Free or Low-Cost Credit Counseling to single parents
- Local Church Assistance Programs for single moms
- Get Help from the Salvation Army
- Get Free Legal Assistance and Advice
- Help for single moms With Paying Off Student Loans
- Section 8 Assistance Program
- Catholic Charities Financial Assistance for single mothers
- Get Help Paying Electric Bills
- Get Help Paying Water Bills
- LIHEAP Energy Assistance Program for single mothers
- Low Income Assistance Programs
- Grants and Scholarships for Adults Back To School
- Assistance Programs for American Indians
- Assistance Programs for Hispanic single mothers
- Financial Assistance Programs for Seniors
- Financial assistance programs for disabled
- Financial Assistance for Single Mothers
- Assistance Programs for African American single mothers
- Perkins loans for single mothers
- Children's health insurance program for single mothers
- Grants for single moms with no health insurance
- Debt consolidation programs for single mothers
- Bankruptcy assistance for single mothers
Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) for single moms
The cost of raising children can be a struggle for some families. When times are tough the Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) can help. TANF is a Federally funded program that helps American families by providing benefits, both financial and otherwise, to help keep families and single mothers intact. The agency provides financial and medical assistance to needy dependent children and the parents or relatives with whom they are living. Households that meet the criteria receive monthly cash and Medicaid benefits. TANF benefits are funded by the state. Find a TANF office in your county. Learn how to fill out an application for TANF benefits
Matthews Free Medical Clinic
In 2003, Matthews United Methodist Church parish nurse, Gail Dokes, RN, and a group of volunteers created the Matthews Free Medical Clinic.The clinic offers free, quality healthcare to low-income, uninsured patients of Matthews North Carolina and surrounding areas, including Mecklenburg and Union Counties. The clinic provides acute and chronic primary care, women’s clinics, psychiatry clinics, orthopedic and pharmacy clinics.
Hours of Operation
- Monday: 8:30am – 4:00pm
- Tuesday: 8:30am – 4:00pm
- Wednesday: 8:30am – 4:00pm
- Thursday: 8:30am – 4:00pm
- Friday: 8:30am – 1:00pm
- Labs: Monday and Thursday from 8:30am to 12:00pm only
- Doctor Visits are by appointment only
If you require medical care and have no way to pay for it find out if the MFMC can help. You can find the forms you need before your appointment. Call 704-841-8882 for more information about the clinic and services.
Weatherization Assistance Program (WAP)
The mission of the Weatherization Assistance Program is to improve energy efficiency, household safety, and educate the public about maintaining energy efficiency. The program’s focus is on the elderly, the disabled, families with children, high energy users and the energy burdened. The goal of the Weatherization Assistance Program is to keep North Carolina citizens warm in the winter, cool in the summer, and safe all year long.
The Weatherization Assistance Program (WAP) is designed to assist single mothers, low-income individuals and families save energy and reduce expenses through the process of an energy audit and installation of energy conservation materials. It is the goal of the program to create a safe, energy efficient and comfortable home environment for the families served. Our priority is providing assistance to the elderly, individuals with disabilities and families with children.
To be eligible for WAP, you can be a homeowner or a renter. Renters need written permission from the landlord. WAP is available for single-family homes, apartments, condominiums, and mobile homes. Apply today for lower utility bills and to save energy. Call 877-623-6748 for more information.
Prescription Medication Assistance for single parents
Are you a single mother? Do you need prescription medications but lack the means to buy them?
North Carolina MedAssist can help. MedAssist is a nonprofit pharmacy program providing access to life-saving prescription medication, patient support, advocacy and related services to poor, vulnerable, and uninsured North Carolina residents. MedAssist also seeks to ensure that no eligible person in North Carolina has to choose between purchasing food or their needed medication; improving the patient’s health and lowering uncompensated health care costs for all stakeholders. Most of the drugs are secured from the Patient Assistance Programs (PAP) available through participating pharmaceutical companies.
MedAssist has several programs to help low-income, uninsured residents receive free prescription medication. This assistance is for people who are unable to obtain life-saving prescription drugs to treat conditions such as heart disease, diabetes, and asthma. Check here for available medications.