When money is tight some bills have to wait. Unfortunately, that sometimes means having to do without food or heat. It may be difficult to ask for assistance however, these organizations and agencies exist to help single mothers. There is no reason to feel awkward or hesitate to apply for aid. People in America help each other.
Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) for single mothers
Hunger is real in Virgina. Children and adults go without enough food every day. America is the land of plenty, but not for everyone. However, it does not have to be that way. The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) provides eligible low-income individuals and families with benefits that can be used to purchase healthy nutritious food. SNAP, formerly known as Food Stamps provides assistance through the Electronic Benefit Transfer (EBT) card. The EBT card appears similar to a debit card and spends like one as well.
Learn more about SNAP for single mothers . If you need food right away call the Virginia state Hotline 800-552-3431 or 804-726-7000.
Utility Bills assistance for single mothers
Contact your utility company directly to receive more information about the different programs.
- Appalachian Power has programs available to customers who are on a limited or fixed income and are in need of assistance with their utility bill. Learn more about assistance. 800-956-4237
- Columbia Gas of Virginia has programs available to customers who are on a limited or fixed income and are in need of single mother assistance with their utility bill, including budget payment plans and credit counseling. Contact your utility directly to receive more information about the programs for which you may be eligible. 800-272-2714
- Old Dominion Power Company has programs available to customers who are on a limited or fixed income and are in need of assistance with their utility bill, including the payment extension plans and energy conservation programs. Contact your utility directly to receive more information about the programs for which you may be eligible. 866-DOM-HELP
Prescription Assistance for single moms
When finances are tight you may not be able to afford prescription medications. If you live in Virginia and have a chronic disease such as hypertension (high blood pressure), asthma, diabetes, heart disease or other long-term there is help. Find out here if you qualify for single mother benefits.
Another way to save on the cost of prescriptions is by using the Simple Savings Card. If you do not have prescription insurance, the Simple Savings Card can help you save money on medications. Simple Savings is free and covers any prescription medication. It does not include over- the-counter medicines. There are no limitations by age, income or pre-existing conditions. Call 866-368-9807 or go to the website to discover more.
Medical and Dental Assistance for single parents
Charlottesville Free Clinic
If you or a family member need medical care, but you do not have health insurance, and you do not qualify for free healthcare elsewhere, then the Charlottesville Free Clinic can help.
The Charlottesville Free Clinic (CFC) believes that everyone should have access to high-quality health care and that no one should suffer needlessly from treatable medical or dental conditions.
The website offers a comprehensive list of free or sliding scale medical and dental care.
Eviction and Foreclosure Prevention for single moms
Has your landlord taken action to evict you? If so you need to learn what the law is in your area. You do not have to be a landowner to have rights. Renters have rights and responsibilities under the law. An eviction must be carried out in a particular way to be legitimate. Evictions can also be attempted after a foreclosure sale.
If you are attempting to prevent foreclosure on your home, you need legal assistance. Prevention of foreclosure can be complicated and require help from a professional legal advisor. For something as important as your home, it is imperative you have the help of an expert.
Here are several organizations that can help.
Veteran Borrowers in Deleinquency
You have managed to keep a roof over your family for another month, but now there is not enough money for food. Where can you turn? There are groups and organizations dedicated to ensuring no one goes hungry. There is no reason to feel awkward or hesitant. If you need food go to one of the food pantries.
Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)
The Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program or LIHEAP was designed to assist low-income households and single mothers with paying utility bills. LIHEAP funds may be used for gas, electric, coal or wood for home heating,
Here you will find more information and a LIHEAP application.
++ Also read
- Section 8 Assistance Program for single mothers
- Low Income Assistance Programs for single mothers
- Foreclosure Assistance Programs for single mothers
- Mortgage assistance programs for single mothers
- Medical Bills Assistance Programs for single moms
- Get help with buying your medications
- Financial Assistance Programs for Women
- Organizations That Offer Free or Low-Cost Credit Counseling to single parents
- Local Church Assistance Programs for single moms
- Get Help from the Salvation Army
- Get Free Legal Assistance and Advice
- Help for single moms With Paying Off Student Loans
- Section 8 Assistance Program
- Catholic Charities Financial Assistance for single mothers
- Get Help Paying Electric Bills
- Get Help Paying Water Bills
- LIHEAP Energy Assistance Program for single mothers
- Low Income Assistance Programs
- Most Helpful Government Assistance Programs for single mothers
- Grants and Scholarships for Adults Back To School
- Assistance Programs for American Indians
- Assistance Programs for Hispanic single mothers
- Popular Charities that Help single mothers With Bills
- Financial Assistance Programs for Seniors
- Financial assistance programs for disabled
- Financial Assistance for Single Mothers
- Assistance Programs for African American single mothers
- Perkins loans for single mothers
- Children's health insurance program for single mothers
- Grants for single moms with no health insurance
- How to apply for government benefits
- Food stamps for single mothers
- Unemployment benefits for single mothers
- Grants for paying telephone bills
- Debt consolidation programs for single mothers
- Bankruptcy assistance for single mothers
- Government financial help for single mothers
- WIC program for single mothers
- Welfare benefits for single mothers
- Education grants for single mothers
- Cash assistance for single mothers
- College grants for single mothers
- Free scholarships for single mothers
- Rent assistance for single mothers
- Low income assistance for single mothers
- Housing grants for single mothers
- Child care assistance for single mothers