Apply for single mother grants today

Welcome to our website. We offer largest directory of single mother grants that help with rent, utility bills, child care, education, medication, housing, medical bills, and mortgage, among others. Many of these financial assistance programs have limited funding, and some might not be available for single mothers who do not meet specific income requirements. Phone numbers and website links to apply for these free grants are published on our website

Grants from variety of sources

Grants published on our website are made available from a variety of sources -- state, federal, non profit organizations and educational institutions. If you are looking for education grants, make sure that application is submitted before the deadline. Many other grants might also have deadlines that need to be met to quality for a free grant. Although our focus is on publishing information on single mother grants, scholarships are not given much importance. If you are looking for college scholarships, readers are advised to look for websites that specifically deal with college scholarships.

Sponsored links

Single mothers assistance in Washington D.C.

Even in the nation’s capital, there are single mothers who need assistance. Here you will find a variety of resources through public and private organizations.


Is your home miserable and cold in the winter, sizzling hot and sweltering in the summer, and the utility bill is too high all year round? The Weatherization Assistance Program (WAP) can resolve these energy issues.

Weatherization increases energy efficiency, improves safety and reduces the cost of utilities. For eligible low-income households, weatherization is free. Typical weatherization includes insulation in the walls and attic, sealing ducts, caulking, and weatherstripping around doors and windows, and cleaning, repairing and safety testing the heating unit for carbon monoxide. There is an additional program called Weatherization Plus that focuses on asthma prevention in addition to energy efficiency.

The Weatherization mission statement reads, “To reduce energy costs for low-income families and single mothers, particularly for the elderly, people with disabilities, and children, by improving the energy efficiency of their homes while ensuring their health and safety.”

Sponsored links

++ Popular grants for single mothers

Learn more about how weatherization can make your home energy efficient.

Food Assistance for single moms

The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) provides eligible low-income individuals, single mothers and families with aid to purchase healthy food. SNAP, formerly known as Food Stamps, uses an Electronic Benefit Transfer (EBT) card. The EBT appears similar to a debit card and works the same as well. SNAP benefits may be used to purchase most foods at the majority of grocers and many health food stores. Some Farmers Markets accept EBT with a special discount for seniors. SNAP can buy most foods except for hot foods and foods that are ready to eat. SNAP cannot buy paper or soap products, pet food, alcohol or tobacco. The SNAP benefits are intended to be a supplement. Beneficiaries must still find other resources for food if they do not have the funds to purchase food. Community gardens and other resources such as food pantries can extend SNAP dollars. Learn more about SNAP by calling 202-671-4200, 202-724-5506 or visit this website.

Women, Infants and Children (WIC) is another food supplement program. WIC provides federal grants to states to supply supplemental food, health care referrals, and nutrition education for low-income pregnant breastfeeding and non-breastfeeding postpartum women, and to infants and children up to the age of five who are found to be at nutritional risk by a health professional. Call 800-345-1WIC or go to the site to apply. Additional information about WIC can be found here, or find the nearest WIC office.

Legal Aid

Anyone involved in a legal matter benefits from receiving professional assistance. Law Help DC is a comprehensive Washington D.C. guide to free or low-cost legal aid and services. Eligible residents are not charged a fee for assistance or referrals. Find help with public benefits, family matters and much more. The website offers self-help court forms for a variety of needs.  

Telephone Discount

There are people in D.C. who can have any phone they desire. However, there are also residents who cannot pay for even a basic telephone. A phone is a necessity for work, school, appointments, and emergencies. A federally funded program called Lifeline was created to help those who might otherwise not be able to afford a phone. For eligible customers, Lifeline offers a discount of $9.25 per month on basic telephone service. Phones can be landline or wireless, but only one discount can be applied.

To apply for the discount contact your local phone service. For Lifeline information call 800-253-0846 to get single mother benefits.

Dental and Medical Assistance for single parents

Bread for the City Southeast Center

The mission of Bread for the City is to provide vulnerable residents of Washington D.C. with comprehensive services, including food, clothing, medical care, and legal and social services, in an atmosphere of dignity and respect.

Services include primary care, health, and nutrition education, women’s health, OB/GYN, pediatric, immunizations, dental, pharmacy, lab, and social services. Call for hours 202-561-8587. Read more about single mother grants at the website for the center.

Unity Health Care – Walker Jones Health Center – Ward 6   202-354-1120

Unity Health Center serves all income levels, the uninsured, underinsured, Medicare, Medicaid. Sliding scale fees. No one turned away due to inability to pay.

The center provides primary care, men’s health, OB/GYN, pediatric, mental health counseling, podiatry, HIV/AIDS testing and treatment, job and social services. More about the center can be found here, or call 202-354-1120.

Utility Assistance for single mothers

If you are a single mother and need help paying your utility bill, there are public and private programs to help keep the power on at your house.

  • The Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) can help you stay warm in the winter and cool in the summer. Eligible residents may be able to receive bill payment assistance, energy crisis aid, and weatherization with energy efficient home repairs. Apply for LIHEAP online or contact your utility provider.
  • Community Family Life Services Downtown D C

This communty orgnization has many resources to offer eligible individuals and families including assistance with utility bills. To find out more call 202-347-0511 or visit the website to learn more.

  • Community Council for the Homeless at Friendship Place

Another community resource for residents. Community Council for the Homeless at Friendship Place has a   program to assist households living in Ward 3 with paying heating costs and preventing utility  shutoff.   Contact the agency at 202-364-1419.

Sponsored links