Being a single mother is full of responsibilities and uncertainties. In Novato, you can find basic services, in the form of food and cash assistance, that serve families living on reduced incomes.
Your provider for temporary cash is CalWorks, also known as California Work Opportunity and Responsibility to Kids. Single mothers receive cash for up to 4 years if they qualify. Apply online or contact the California Department of Social Services (DSS) office directly. Call (415) 473-3400 for help, or visit the website link for more information.
Help with Food
CalFresh is the state version of the Supplemental Nutritional Assistance Program (SNAP). Use Electronic Benefit Transfer (EBT) funds to buy affordable, healthy foods. Apply online or call (415) 473-3400 for assistance. Visit the website link for more information.
Help with Shelter and Housing
Homeward Bound of Marin has overnight shelters and free dining rooms for families in need of affordable living. Find supportive housing programs for job training, credit counseling and food assistance. Call 2-1-1 or (800) 273-6222. Visit the website link for more information.
Help with Energy and Utilities
Community Action Marin has a variety of programs for energy assistance. Once a year, obtain funds for energy bills from the Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP). Visit the main office or call (415) 526-7550 to request an application. Visit the website link for more information.
Help with Telephone and Internet Bills
The California LifeLine program has assistance for single mothers in need of phone services. Frontier has eligibility requirements that they can review with you when you call 1-800-794-4741. Apply online, or download your application and mail it to a program administrator. Visit the website link for more information.
Help with Childcare
Marin Head Start Program provides nutritional, healthcare and educational services for children from 3 to 5 years old. There is prenatal assistance for pregnant women and a preschool program at the Bolinas Children’s Center. Download an application or request one at (415) 883-3791. Visit the website link for more information.
Help with Medical and Dental Care
Medi-Cal is the healthcare provider for low-income single mothers and their children, regardless of age and income. Verify your eligibility factors on the website for the California Department of Health Care Services. Apply for benefits online or download and mail in an application. Visit the website link for more information.
Help with Legal Matters
Affordable legal assistance is provided by the Legal Aid of Marin. Get help for issues tied to elder, family, debt, employment and housing law. Request your appointment online or call (415) 492-0230. Visit the website link for more information.
Help with Financial Counseling
Consumer Credit Counseling Service of San Francisco (CCCS) has a range of counseling services for low-income people interested in money management, debt reduction, financial planning and more. The services are free, and the Debt Management Plan comes at a small monthly cost. Fill out an online worksheet to get started right away. Visit the website link for more information.
Help From Other Groups
The Ritter Center helps homeless and underemployed single mothers. You are assisted in getting employment, housing and healthcare treatment. Contact the center in person, send an online form or call (415) 457-8182. Visit the website link for more information.
Reach out to one or more of these organizations to see if you qualify.
++ Also read
- Section 8 Assistance Program for single mothers
- Low Income Assistance Programs for single mothers
- Foreclosure Assistance Programs for single mothers
- Mortgage assistance programs for single mothers
- Medical Bills Assistance Programs for single moms
- Get help with buying your medications
- Financial Assistance Programs for Women
- Organizations That Offer Free or Low-Cost Credit Counseling to single parents
- Local Church Assistance Programs for single moms
- Get Help from the Salvation Army
- Get Free Legal Assistance and Advice
- Help for single moms With Paying Off Student Loans
- Section 8 Assistance Program
- Catholic Charities Financial Assistance for single mothers
- Get Help Paying Electric Bills
- Get Help Paying Water Bills
- LIHEAP Energy Assistance Program for single mothers
- Low Income Assistance Programs
- Most Helpful Government Assistance Programs for single mothers
- Grants and Scholarships for Adults Back To School
- Assistance Programs for American Indians
- Assistance Programs for Hispanic single mothers
- Popular Charities that Help single mothers With Bills
- Financial Assistance Programs for Seniors
- Financial assistance programs for disabled
- Financial Assistance for Single Mothers
- Assistance Programs for African American single mothers
- Perkins loans for single mothers
- Children's health insurance program for single mothers
- Grants for single moms with no health insurance
- How to apply for government benefits
- Food stamps for single mothers
- Unemployment benefits for single mothers
- Grants for paying telephone bills
- Debt consolidation programs for single mothers
- Bankruptcy assistance for single mothers
- Government financial help for single mothers
- WIC program for single mothers
- Welfare benefits for single mothers
- Education grants for single mothers
- Cash assistance for single mothers
- College grants for single mothers
- Free scholarships for single mothers
- Rent assistance for single mothers
- Low income assistance for single mothers
- Housing grants for single mothers
- Child care assistance for single mothers