Plainfield, New Jersey provides dozens of services to its low-income community. Here are various organizations you can turn to for help.
Cash Assistance for single mothers
WorkFirst NJ (WFNJ) has a cash assistance program for families and individuals. For families, there is Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF). For individuals, there is the General Assistance (GA) program. In addition, WFNJ recipients can receive Emergency Assistance (EA) funds to pay for food, household bills, or transportation.
For more questions, call the Work First New Jersey Hotline at 1-800-792-9773. Determine your eligibility and apply for benefits by contacting Union County Division of Social Services at (908) 965-2700.
Food assistance for single mothers
New Jersey has a Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) for income eligible individuals. Pre-screen for NJ Snap online. Apply online or in person at Union County Division of Social Services, which can be reached at (908) 965-2700.
End Hunger NJ provides a list of emergency food providers in and around Plainfield.
Housing aid for single mothers
Homefirst has transitional and affordable, long-term housing. Call (908) 753-4001 for transitional housing and (908) 755-2054 for permanent housing. For emergency rental and utility assistance, call (908) 753-4002.
In New Jersey, find Social Services for the Homeless (SSH) for people in need of sheltering and rental or utility assistance. Call (908) 756-6061 to reach the Plainfield agency.
Review a list of emergency shelters in Plainfield, as approved by the U.S. Dept. of Housing and Urban Development here.
Utilities assistance for single mothers
Apply for energy assistance if you are income eligible. Low Income Home Energy Assistance (LIHEAP) has a list of facts and income requirements for Plainfield residents. Download and mail an application to an application agency in Plainfield. Call (800) 510-3102 if you have questions.
View additional state-approved energy assistance programs, including Universal Service Fund (USF) and Weatherization Assistance (WAP).
Help with Telephone and Internet Bills
The Lifeline discount program helps Verizon users in select U.S. states. Download the application for New Jersey residents and mail it to Verizon Lifeline Services. Contact 1-888-337-3339 or 1-800-837-4966 for more information.
Help with Childcare
The New Jersey Division of Family Development has lists of approved childcare providers and subsidies for childcare. Apply for WorkFirst to see if you qualify for free childcare.
Contact your local Child Care Resource and Referral Agency (CCR&R) for Plainfield residents. Community Coordinated Child Care can be reached at (973) 923-1433. In addition, you can call the helpline at 1-800-332-9227.
Union County Division of Social Services has information about the programs at (908) 965-2700.
Help with Medical and Dental Care
Medicaid is available to all New Jersey residents who qualify. Services include dental care, eye care, preventative screening, doctors’ visits, prescription drugs and more. For questions, call 1-800-356-1561 or the Union County Division of Social Services at (908) 965-2700.
NJ FamilyCare is also available on their website and by phone at 1-800-701-0710.
Pre-screen for either program online through NJ Helps.
Help with Legal Matters
In Union County, find a list of free, pro bono or low-cost legal providers in and around Plainfield. The types of cases covered include bankruptcies, employment law, foreclosures, public benefits, etc.
Help with Financial Counseling
Family Guidance Center counseling is available for help on credit restoration, foreclosures, debt management and other financial issues. Contact them for an appointment at (609) 586-2574.
Help from Other Groups
The Salvation Army in Plainfield has many services for the community, including Sunday school classes, music lessons, food pantry distributions and childcare services. Contact them at (908) 756-2595.
Plainfield Action Services (PAS) helps the low-income community in Plainfield. They provide health education services, recreational events, and financial assistance.
Plainfield is a close-knit community full of caring individuals and organizations. You will find more than enough ways to get out of poverty and improve your financial situation.
++ Also read
- Section 8 Assistance Program for single mothers
- Low Income Assistance Programs for single mothers
- Foreclosure Assistance Programs for single mothers
- Mortgage assistance programs for single mothers
- Medical Bills Assistance Programs for single moms
- Get help with buying your medications
- Financial Assistance Programs for Women
- Organizations That Offer Free or Low-Cost Credit Counseling to single parents
- Local Church Assistance Programs for single moms
- Get Help from the Salvation Army
- Get Free Legal Assistance and Advice
- Help for single moms With Paying Off Student Loans
- Section 8 Assistance Program
- Catholic Charities Financial Assistance for single mothers
- Get Help Paying Electric Bills
- Get Help Paying Water Bills
- LIHEAP Energy Assistance Program for single mothers
- Low Income Assistance Programs
- Most Helpful Government Assistance Programs for single mothers
- Grants and Scholarships for Adults Back To School
- Assistance Programs for American Indians
- Assistance Programs for Hispanic single mothers
- Popular Charities that Help single mothers With Bills
- Financial Assistance Programs for Seniors
- Financial assistance programs for disabled
- Financial Assistance for Single Mothers
- Assistance Programs for African American single mothers
- Perkins loans for single mothers
- Children's health insurance program for single mothers
- Grants for single moms with no health insurance
- How to apply for government benefits
- Food stamps for single mothers
- Unemployment benefits for single mothers
- Grants for paying telephone bills
- Debt consolidation programs for single mothers
- Bankruptcy assistance for single mothers
- Government financial help for single mothers
- WIC program for single mothers
- Welfare benefits for single mothers
- Education grants for single mothers
- Cash assistance for single mothers
- College grants for single mothers
- Free scholarships for single mothers
- Rent assistance for single mothers
- Low income assistance for single mothers
- Housing grants for single mothers
- Child care assistance for single mothers