Sometimes, having a job and earning an income is not enough for single mothers. They may need additional resources to get through their financial predicaments. Help for low-income families is available to residents in Portsmouth, Virginia.
Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) has temporary cash assistance along with a job advancement program. Apply via CommonHelp online, download an application or find the Department of Social Services (DSS) agency closest to you. Visit the website link for more information.
Help with Food
Food assistance is available to single mothers and their children through the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP). Review the 2016 income eligibility limits and apply through CommonHelp. There are some items that you cannot buy using SNAP funds, and you may have to meet certain work requirements. Find out more at your local DSS office or visit the website link for more information.
Help with Shelter and Housing
Virginia Easy Access has low-income access to apartments, private homes and assisted living facilities. Find a long-term residence based on your level of financial need. Contact a local public housing agency or visit the website link for more information.
Help with Energy and Utilities
Energy assistance helps low-income single mothers and their families. They receive funds to pay for cooling and heating bills throughout the year. Apply online or in person at a DSS office. Visit the website link for more information.
Help with Telephone and Internet Bills
SafeLink Wireless is a no-cost phone service that benefits families at home and on the move. The service lasts for one year and involves no contracts. To apply, single mothers should visit the website link for more information.
Help with Childcare
The Child Care Subsidy Program helps you find low-cost, licensed child care providers. Subsidy assistance is provided to those families who qualify. Apply online, download an application or contact your DSS agency in person. Visit the website link for more information.
Help with Medical and Dental Care
The main medical assistance programs in Virginia are Medicaid and Medicare. Both programs serve low-income beneficiaries if they meet other qualifications. The DSS office has more information about the programs and application forms. Visit the website link for more information.
Help with Legal Matters
The Legal Aid Society of Eastern Virginia has low-cost legal services if you need help getting public benefits, getting child support, retiring or more. Apply online, over the phone or in person at an office. Visit the website link for more information.
Help with Financial Counseling
Financial Counselors of Virginia, Inc. has financial planning services for retirement, home ownership, schooling and more. Make an appointment by contacting them at (757) 399-7499, toll free at (855) 399-7499 or INFO@FCVA.net. Visit the website link for more information.
Help From Other Groups
The Oasis Social Ministry offers support to people living with low incomes in Portsmouth. There is a food pantry, soup kitchen and thrift store available to eligible users. Every year, find assistance for the Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays. Register in person if you are a local resident. Visit the website link for more information.
Single mothers and their families have ways to live affordably and comfortably in Portsmouth. If you need assistance, be sure to contact these helpful resources near you.
++ Also read
- Section 8 Assistance Program for single mothers
- Low Income Assistance Programs for single mothers
- Foreclosure Assistance Programs for single mothers
- Mortgage assistance programs for single mothers
- Medical Bills Assistance Programs for single moms
- Get help with buying your medications
- Financial Assistance Programs for Women
- Organizations That Offer Free or Low-Cost Credit Counseling to single parents
- Local Church Assistance Programs for single moms
- Get Help from the Salvation Army
- Get Free Legal Assistance and Advice
- Help for single moms With Paying Off Student Loans
- Section 8 Assistance Program
- Catholic Charities Financial Assistance for single mothers
- Get Help Paying Electric Bills
- Get Help Paying Water Bills
- LIHEAP Energy Assistance Program for single mothers
- Low Income Assistance Programs
- Most Helpful Government Assistance Programs for single mothers
- Grants and Scholarships for Adults Back To School
- Assistance Programs for American Indians
- Assistance Programs for Hispanic single mothers
- Popular Charities that Help single mothers With Bills
- Financial Assistance Programs for Seniors
- Financial assistance programs for disabled
- Financial Assistance for Single Mothers
- Assistance Programs for African American single mothers
- Perkins loans for single mothers
- Children's health insurance program for single mothers
- Grants for single moms with no health insurance
- How to apply for government benefits
- Food stamps for single mothers
- Unemployment benefits for single mothers
- Grants for paying telephone bills
- Debt consolidation programs for single mothers
- Bankruptcy assistance for single mothers
- Government financial help for single mothers
- WIC program for single mothers
- Welfare benefits for single mothers
- Education grants for single mothers
- Cash assistance for single mothers
- College grants for single mothers
- Free scholarships for single mothers
- Rent assistance for single mothers
- Low income assistance for single mothers
- Housing grants for single mothers
- Child care assistance for single mothers