Getting assistance as a single mother is possible and easy to do if you live in Ridgecrest. Here’s how.
Kern County offers cash assistance through the California Work Opportunity and Responsibility to Kids (CalWORKs) program. Apply online or contact the Kern County Department of Human Services (DHS) near you. Call the automated helpline at 1-877-410-8812, or visit the website link for more information.
Help with Food
Assistance to buy food is provided through the CalFresh program, which is California’s state version of the federal Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP). Apply online, visit the Ridgecrest office in person or call them directly at (760) 499-5200. Visit the website link for more information.
Help with Shelter and Housing
Low-income public housing is offered to single mothers at affordable, minimum rental limits. The rental amount is 30% of your monthly income. The Central Office has application forms that can be returned in person or by mail. Visit the website link for more information.
Help with Energy and Utilities
Pay your gas, electric and energy bills with the help of the Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP). A one-time, annual payment is given to eligible households. Call for an appointment at (661) 336-5203 or mail in your application. Visit the website link for more information.
Help with Telephone and Internet Bills
California Budget Mobile LifeLine is the alternative to high-cost phone and Internet bills. Receive a phone and unlimited monthly minutes with no fees and no contracts. Qualify for this program based on your income or participation in public benefits. Submit an online form for assistance. Call (888) 777-4007, or visit the website link for more information.
Help with Childcare
Child care assistance is affordable to all single mothers and their children living in Kern County. Early Head Start is the supplemental program for low-income children from birth to 3 years old. Qualified families are given access to nutritional, medical and educational services. Contact Head Start by phone at 1-800-701-7060 or by fax at (661) 336-5323. Visit the website link for more information.
Help with Medical and Dental Care
Get low-cost coverage for you and your family’s medical, dental and vision needs. Medi-Cal is the main program that helps low-income people get Medicaid, Medicare and other types of assistance. To apply, contact your local DHS office in Ridgecrest or call (661) 631-6807 for an application. Visit the website link for more information.
Help with Legal Matters
Find several centers that provide legal counseling, self-help and representation in Kern County. Get assisted on a legal case that involves family, employment, civil rights, criminal and elderly law. Visit the website link for more information.
Help with Financial Counseling
Financial education services are provided by the AltaOne credit union. Get free counseling through a personal finance coach or the GreenPath Financial Wellness center. Get started online, or call (760) 371-7000 or (800) 433-9727 if you have questions. Visit the website link for more information.
Help From Other Groups
For additional assistance in paying child care, consider the California Alternative Payment Program (CAPP). Choose a licensed provider for children aged 12 years or younger. Apply online or download and submit your application. Visit the website link for more information.
Improving the finances of single mothers is a major goal in Kern County. It is possible to pay for any major task, whether it involves getting cash, buying food, or securing housing. You just have to know where to look for financial assistance and see if you qualify. Keep this list on hand!
++ Also read
- Section 8 Assistance Program for single mothers
- Low Income Assistance Programs for single mothers
- Foreclosure Assistance Programs for single mothers
- Mortgage assistance programs for single mothers
- Medical Bills Assistance Programs for single moms
- Get help with buying your medications
- Financial Assistance Programs for Women
- Organizations That Offer Free or Low-Cost Credit Counseling to single parents
- Local Church Assistance Programs for single moms
- Get Help from the Salvation Army
- Get Free Legal Assistance and Advice
- Help for single moms With Paying Off Student Loans
- Section 8 Assistance Program
- Catholic Charities Financial Assistance for single mothers
- Get Help Paying Electric Bills
- Get Help Paying Water Bills
- LIHEAP Energy Assistance Program for single mothers
- Low Income Assistance Programs
- Most Helpful Government Assistance Programs for single mothers
- Grants and Scholarships for Adults Back To School
- Assistance Programs for American Indians
- Assistance Programs for Hispanic single mothers
- Popular Charities that Help single mothers With Bills
- Financial Assistance Programs for Seniors
- Financial assistance programs for disabled
- Financial Assistance for Single Mothers
- Assistance Programs for African American single mothers
- Perkins loans for single mothers
- Children's health insurance program for single mothers
- Grants for single moms with no health insurance
- How to apply for government benefits
- Food stamps for single mothers
- Unemployment benefits for single mothers
- Grants for paying telephone bills
- Debt consolidation programs for single mothers
- Bankruptcy assistance for single mothers
- Government financial help for single mothers
- WIC program for single mothers
- Welfare benefits for single mothers
- Education grants for single mothers
- Cash assistance for single mothers
- College grants for single mothers
- Free scholarships for single mothers
- Rent assistance for single mothers
- Low income assistance for single mothers
- Housing grants for single mothers
- Child care assistance for single mothers