Single mothers should rest assured that the government and nonprofit organizations are looking out for them. In Shafter, there are resources available to meet many needs from cash to housing. Here are some resources you can turn to.
California Work Opportunity and Responsibility to Kids (CalWORKs) is the state’s welfare program for single mothers in need of cash. Low-income people who are underemployed or unemployed and caring for dependent children are eligible. Apply for CalWorks online or contact your local welfare office. Visit the website link for more information.
Help with Food
CalFresh is California’s program to help people buy healthy food. Eligible recipients are allowed to buy eligible food items on an EBT card. Apply online, visit the Department of Human Services office in person or request an application at (661) 631-6062. Visit the website link for more information.
Help with Shelter and Housing
Shelters and federally funded public houses are available to single mothers all over Kern County. Find low-income rental assistance and temporary housing for the homeless. Contact the Central Office to receive an application or schedule an eligibility interview. Visit the website link for more information.
Help with Energy and Utilities
The Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP) has assistance for energy and utility bills in qualified households. The funds are provided annually to families that meet at or below 150% of federal poverty levels. Call 2-1-1 for questions or (661) 336-5203 to make an appointment. Visit the website link for more information.
Help with Telephone and Internet Bills
LifeLine is the program that provides a free phone and unlimited, monthly minutes to qualified single mothers. They must be either low income or recipients of public assistance. Call (888) 777-4007 or visit the Budget Mobile office near you. Visit the website link for more information.
Help with Childcare
Early Head Start is the state’s provider of low-income, child care assistance. Recipients are families with infants, pregnant women or children aged 3 years or younger. Call the hotline at 1-800-701-7060 or contact the office in Bakersfield. Visit the website link for more information.
Help with Medical and Dental Care
Medi-Cal healthcare coverage offers two major programs to families: Health Net and Kern Family Healthcare. Get no-cost coverage if you and your family meets certain income limits. Apply online, go to the Shafter office in person or call (661) 746-8300. Visit the website link for more information.
Help with Legal Matters
Greater Bakersfield Legal Assistance, Inc. (GBLA) is the low-income provider of legal justice for social, racial and economic issues. Call (661) 325-5943 to check your eligibility and ask more questions. Visit the website link for more information.
Help with Financial Counseling
The Consumer Credit Counseling Service of Kern & Tulare Counties helps people with financial questions. Common issues are debt repayments, bankruptcy, credit, foreclosure and homebuying. Find assistance in person, by phone, email or mail. Visit the website link for more information.
Help From Other Groups
The United Way of Kern County has additional services for financial literacy, job training, elderly care and substance abuse treatment. The organization helps the homeless, the low income and those in need of emergency social services. Call 2-1-1 for assistance, or visit the website link for more information.
When times get rough, know that a wide range of benefits are available to single mothers. Get the services you need by reaching out to these organizations.
++ Also read
- Section 8 Assistance Program for single mothers
- Low Income Assistance Programs for single mothers
- Foreclosure Assistance Programs for single mothers
- Mortgage assistance programs for single mothers
- Medical Bills Assistance Programs for single moms
- Get help with buying your medications
- Financial Assistance Programs for Women
- Organizations That Offer Free or Low-Cost Credit Counseling to single parents
- Local Church Assistance Programs for single moms
- Get Help from the Salvation Army
- Get Free Legal Assistance and Advice
- Help for single moms With Paying Off Student Loans
- Section 8 Assistance Program
- Catholic Charities Financial Assistance for single mothers
- Get Help Paying Electric Bills
- Get Help Paying Water Bills
- LIHEAP Energy Assistance Program for single mothers
- Low Income Assistance Programs
- Most Helpful Government Assistance Programs for single mothers
- Grants and Scholarships for Adults Back To School
- Assistance Programs for American Indians
- Assistance Programs for Hispanic single mothers
- Popular Charities that Help single mothers With Bills
- Financial Assistance Programs for Seniors
- Financial assistance programs for disabled
- Financial Assistance for Single Mothers
- Assistance Programs for African American single mothers
- Perkins loans for single mothers
- Children's health insurance program for single mothers
- Grants for single moms with no health insurance
- How to apply for government benefits
- Food stamps for single mothers
- Unemployment benefits for single mothers
- Grants for paying telephone bills
- Debt consolidation programs for single mothers
- Bankruptcy assistance for single mothers
- Government financial help for single mothers
- WIC program for single mothers
- Welfare benefits for single mothers
- Education grants for single mothers
- Cash assistance for single mothers
- College grants for single mothers
- Free scholarships for single mothers
- Rent assistance for single mothers
- Low income assistance for single mothers
- Housing grants for single mothers
- Child care assistance for single mothers