In Wasco, many resources are available to help families get through their times of hardship. Find more than one organization willing to help low-income families in Kern County.
Cash assistance is available to single-parent families through CalWorks, which stands for California Work Opportunity and Responsibility to Kids. Apply for benefits online or contact your local welfare office. Visit the website link for more information.
Help with Food
Food benefits are provided through the state’s Calfresh program. Buy healthy foods if you qualify based on income, family size and residency. Apply for food benefits online, by fax, by phone or in person at the Department of Human Services (DHS) office. Visit the website link for more information.
++ Popular grants for single mothers
- Most Helpful Government Assistance Programs for single mothers
- Welfare benefits for single mothers
- Rent assistance for single mothers
- How to apply for government benefits
- Low income assistance for single mothers
- Housing grants for single mothers
- Child care assistance for single mothers
- Food stamps for single mothers
- Unemployment benefits for single mothers
- Grants for paying telephone bills
- Food assistance program for single mothers
- Education grants for single mothers
- Cash assistance for single mothers
- College grants for single mothers
- Free scholarships for single mothers
- Government financial help for single mothers
- Popular Charities that Help single mothers With Bills
- Section 8 Assistance Program for single mothers
- Low Income Assistance Programs for single mothers
- Foreclosure Assistance Programs for single mothers
- Mortgage assistance programs for single mothers
- Medical Bills Assistance Programs for single moms
- Get help with buying your medications
- Financial Assistance Programs for Women
- Organizations That Offer Free or Low-Cost Credit Counseling to single parents
- Local Church Assistance Programs for single moms
- Get Help from the Salvation Army
- Get Free Legal Assistance and Advice
- Help for single moms With Paying Off Student Loans
- Section 8 Assistance Program
- Catholic Charities Financial Assistance for single mothers
- Get Help Paying Electric Bills
- Get Help Paying Water Bills
- LIHEAP Energy Assistance Program for single mothers
- Low Income Assistance Programs
- Grants and Scholarships for Adults Back To School
- Assistance Programs for American Indians
- Assistance Programs for Hispanic single mothers
- Financial Assistance Programs for Seniors
- Financial assistance programs for disabled
- Financial Assistance for Single Mothers
- Assistance Programs for African American single mothers
- Perkins loans for single mothers
- Children's health insurance program for single mothers
- Grants for single moms with no health insurance
- Debt consolidation programs for single mothers
- Bankruptcy assistance for single mothers
Help with Shelter and Housing
In Kern County, find housing programs for seniors, foster youth, homeless people, farm workers and recipients of public assistance. Obtain your application at the Central Office or find a housing development center near you. Visit the website link for more information.
Help with Energy and Utilities
Help in paying your energy bills is provided through the Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP). Thousands of households qualify based on their proof of low income. Download and mail in your application. Call HEAP at (661) 336-5203 for questions, or visit the website link for more information.
Help with Telephone and Internet Bills
California Budget Mobile LifeLine serves single mothers and families in Wasco with no-cost, no-contract phone services. They must meet eligibility requirements for low income or enroll in a public assistance program. Fill out an online questionnaire to start the process. Call Budget Mobile at (888) 777-4007, or visit the website link for more information.
Help with Childcare
Single mothers have access to Head Start and Early Head Start programs in Kern County. To become eligible, children in Head Start must be 3 to 5 years old, and children in Early Head Start must be 3 years or younger. Contact the division office in Bakersfield, or call 1-800-701-7060 for help. Visit the website link for more information.
Help with Medical and Dental Care
Medi-Cal services are offered to qualified members in counties all over the state. Single mothers and their children, the elderly, the disabled and low-income adults may qualify. Apply online, by phone or in person at your DHS office. Visit the website link for more information.
Help with Legal Matters
Greater Bakersfield Legal Assistance, Inc. has legal resources for low-income individuals and families in Wasco. Find help for issues that involve housing, homelessness, public benefits, domestic violence and families. Sign up at the Bakersfield office or contact them at 661-325-5943 or 888-292-4252. Visit the website link for more information.
Help with Financial Counseling
Financial counseling for low-income people includes questions about debt, credit, housing and bankruptcy. The Consumer Credit Counseling Service has representatives to answer those questions if you live in Kern County. Complete an online form to make an appointment. Visit the website link for more information.
Help From Other Groups
Catholic Charities has assistance for food, clothing, temporary housing and elderly services in Wasco and beyond. Find the center closest to you. Visit the website link for more information.
Wasco has financial assistance to help qualified single mothers and their families.