This website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, expressed or implied. Singlemothersgrants.org makes no representations or warranties in relation to this website or the information and materials provided on this website.

Without prejudice to the generality of the foregoing paragraph, Singlemothersgrants.org does not warrant that: 1. this website will be constantly available, or available at all; or 2. the information on this website is complete, true, accurate or non-misleading.

We reserve the right to discontinue or alter any or all of our website services, and to stop publishing our website, at any time in our sole discretion without notice or explanation; and save to the extent expressly provided otherwise in this disclaimer, you will not be entitled to any compensation or other payment upon the discontinuance or alteration of any website services, or if we stop publishing the website.

Welfare Benefits for Single Mothers

Sponsored links

If you are a single mother and have been looking at welfare benefits that might be able to help you make ends meet, the good news is that there are a number of programs that can lend a helping hand. On this page we’ll be showing you what your options are and how you can apply for assistance.


Medicaid is a government healthcare assistance program that can help single mothers ensure that their families are covered for medical and dental care services, even if they do not have the funds to pay for these services. Certain requirements such as work scenario and family size do apply in order for benefits to be granted, but you can check your eligibility by contacting the Centers for Medicaid and CHIP at 877-267-2323. Visit the website link for more information.

School Breakfast Program

The School Breakfast Program ensures that children from low-income families are served nutritious breakfast meals at schools and childcare institutions on a daily basis. The program awards block grants to each State, with which they supply food products to participating breakfast program schools. The program is administered by the Food and Nutrition Service, a division of the U.S. Department of Agriculture. Queries about the program can be directed to the office by calling them at 703-305-2281. Visit the website link for more information.

++ Popular grants for single mothers

National School Lunch Program

Much the same as the School Breakfast Program, the National School Lunch Program is a meal provision program that is funded at federal level, in order to ensure that children have access to nutritious, healthy lunches at school. These lunches can be free or low-cost, depending on the school or childcare institution that your child attends. Single mothers can enroll their children for benefits by contacting the USDA’s Communication Division at 703-305-2281. Visit the website link for more information.

Weatherization Assistance Program

Administered by the U.S. Department of Energy, the Weatherization Assistance Program aims to help single mothers lower the cost of their home energy by providing them with services that can help them ensure their homes are more energy efficient. You can apply for weatherization assistance by visiting the DOE’s website and selecting your state in order to submit an online application. Visit the website link for more information.

Paid Family Leave

The State Disability Insurance program makes provision for Paid Family Leave, and assistance program that can help replace a portion of your regular wages if you have a family emergency. This program is available to eligible low-income California residents. You can claim these benefits by using the SDI Online claim form, but if you have any problems with submitting a claim, you can contact the State of California’s Employment Development Department at 1-877-238-4373. Visit the website link for more information.

Local Food Banks

There are a huge variety of local food banks, spread across all territories and States of the U.S., which form part of the Feeding America initiative. Single mothers can apply to receive food assistance for their families by calling the Feeding America National Office at 800-771-2303. They will be able to help you find a food bank or pantry in your area and also advise on what documents you need to take with you when visiting the pantry. Visit the website link for more information.

Unemployment Insurance

If you have lost your job due to no fault of your own, you may be able to benefit from the Unemployment Insurance program. While certain eligibility criteria needs to be met before a claim can be processed, you can check to see if you qualify for assistance by contacting the UI Self-Service Center at 1-866-333-4606. Visit the website link for more information.

Women, Infants, and Children Program

WIC is a federally-funded healthcare and nutritional assistance program, aimed at providing pregnant and breastfeeding women as well as their children with the support they need in order to stay healthy. Benefits may include food packages, health checks, counseling, and nutritional education workshops. If you are a single mother and have children younger than 5 years old, you can enroll for WIC by calling the NWA National Office at 202-232-5492. Visit the website link for more information.

The Emergency Food Assistance Program

TEFAP can help supplement a single mother’s food supplies by providing her with food and nutritional assistance if her family meets eligibility requirements. The Emergency Food Assistance Program is a federally-funded program, which means that you’ll have to get in touch with the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Food and Nutrition Service Office if you have any queries about the program, or need help with your application. The office can be contacted at 800-779-7162. Visit the website link for more information.

Child Care Assistance Program

Single mothers that are working may be eligible for early childhood and afterschool care programs provided by the Office of Child Care’s CCAP initiative. To see if you are eligible for assistance or to find your nearest Children and Families Office, you can call the Office of Child Care at 202-690-6782. Visit the website link for more information.

We hope that this page has been helpful in showing single mothers where and how they can apply for welfare benefits.

++ Also read