Being a single mother is not easy in California or anywhere else. Luckily, there are grants available that you do not have to pay back.
There is a long list of grants on the California Student Aid Commission website. Review the eligibility requirements for each grant. Find awards for high school graduates, university transfers, and community college students.
For questions, call (888) 224-7268 or (888) CA GRANT or send an online contact form to CSAC Customer Relations.
Paid Family Leave (PFL)
The California Employment Development Department includes the Paid Family Leave (PFL) program. You receive benefits to care for a severely ill parent, child or relative, or a new child. File your claim through an online process or order an application.
For questions, contact a local EDD office by mail, by phone at 1-877-238-4373 or in person.
UNEMPLOYMENT INSURANCE (UI)
EDD provides an Unemployment Insurance (UI) program that serves recently unemployed people. On the EDD site, file for a claim, check the status of your claim, or review eligibility requirements.
Call the 24-hour self-service helpline at 1-866-333-4606. Speak to an EDD representative by phone at 1-800-300-5616.
Cal-Learn provides educational and social services to teens with children. The California Department of Social Services has a link to this program and a directory of county welfare offices where they can apply.
Access for Infants & Mothers (AIM)
Medi-Cal Access Program has resources for pregnant women and emancipated minors. Apply through the Covered California website or review income guidelines. For application assistance, call 1-800-300-1506.
Summer Food Service Program (SFSP)
The California Department of Education has a Summer Food Service Program (SFSP) that pays sponsors to provide summer meals for children. Call the SFSP office at (800) 952-5609 or email them at SFSP@cde.ca.gov. Contact the Nutrition Services Division at (800) 952-5609 or (916) 322-8323.
California Head Start
The California Head Start Association has Head Start and Early Head Start programs to serve single mothers and children under the age of 5. The programs include family, childhood education, health and nutrition services. Contact this organization at (916) 444-7760 or email@example.com.
WOMEN, INFANTS & CHILDREN (WIC)
The California Department of Public Health (CDPH) has a Women, Infants and Children (WIC) program that provides nutrition education and financial assistance for mothers of young children. You must be low income, pregnant or raising a child under the age of 5.
Take the eligibility assessment test online to see if you qualify. Then, find a WIC office near you to apply. Call 1-888-942-9675 or 1-888-WIC-WORKS or use the CDPH search tool.
The California Department of Health Care Services (DHCS) has Medi-Cal resources that provide free or low-cost assistance to eligible families. Apply through the Covered California website or find a county office in your area.
Contact an Eligibility Worker in your county by calling (800) 300-1506, go on the website or visit the office. Contact them via email through the online Medi-CalNow form.
The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), also called CalFresh, is your source for food assistance in California. Apply online, download an application, or call toll free at 1-877-847-3663 (FOOD).
If you are heading a household without a partner, you can receive assistance from the state and federal governments. A grant helps single mothers to accomplish many of their immediate and long-term goals.
++ Also read
- Section 8 Assistance Program for single mothers
- Low Income Assistance Programs for single mothers
- Foreclosure Assistance Programs for single mothers
- Mortgage assistance programs for single mothers
- Medical Bills Assistance Programs for single moms
- Get help with buying your medications
- Financial Assistance Programs for Women
- Organizations That Offer Free or Low-Cost Credit Counseling to single parents
- Local Church Assistance Programs for single moms
- Get Help from the Salvation Army
- Get Free Legal Assistance and Advice
- Help for single moms With Paying Off Student Loans
- Section 8 Assistance Program
- Catholic Charities Financial Assistance for single mothers
- Get Help Paying Electric Bills
- Get Help Paying Water Bills
- LIHEAP Energy Assistance Program for single mothers
- Low Income Assistance Programs
- Most Helpful Government Assistance Programs for single mothers
- Grants and Scholarships for Adults Back To School
- Assistance Programs for American Indians
- Assistance Programs for Hispanic single mothers
- Popular Charities that Help single mothers With Bills
- Financial Assistance Programs for Seniors
- Financial assistance programs for disabled
- Financial Assistance for Single Mothers
- Assistance Programs for African American single mothers
- Perkins loans for single mothers
- Children's health insurance program for single mothers
- Grants for single moms with no health insurance
- How to apply for government benefits
- Food stamps for single mothers
- Unemployment benefits for single mothers
- Grants for paying telephone bills
- Debt consolidation programs for single mothers
- Bankruptcy assistance for single mothers
- Government financial help for single mothers
- WIC program for single mothers
- Welfare benefits for single mothers
- Education grants for single mothers
- Cash assistance for single mothers
- College grants for single mothers
- Free scholarships for single mothers
- Rent assistance for single mothers
- Low income assistance for single mothers
- Housing grants for single mothers
- Child care assistance for single mothers