If you are a single mother living in Sacramento and need help paying bills and meeting basic expenses, there are lots of options for getting the help you need.
Cash Assistance for single mothers
The California Work Opportunity and Responsibility to Kids (CalWORKs) program at this link is the state implementation of the federal Temporary Assistance to Needy Families program (TANF). Sacramento County also has a General Assistance program for those with no means of support at this link and a Cash Assistance Program for Immigrants (CAPI) at this link.
Food benefits for single mothers
CalFresh (Formerly known as the Food Stamp Program) provides monthly benefits to help low-income households to purchase the food they need. Find more information at this link. If you need more immediate help with food, the 2-1-1 Sacramento online database lists 11 different area food pantries at this link and 8 different soup kitchens at this link.
Shelter & Housing grants for single mothers
If you need emergency shelter, the 2-1-1 Sacramento online database lists 13 shelters at this link. You can also visit the HomelessShelterDirectory list at this link. If you need help with rent payments, the 2-1-1 database lists three different options at this link and one option for mortgage payment assistance at this link.
Energy and Utilities assistance for single mothers
The Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP) at this link offers income-eligible residents of Sacramento a credit towards their utility bill. The aim of the Housing Division’s weatherization program at this link is to assist eligible, low-income families by providing education and services that facilitate energy conservation. The 2-1-1 Sacramento online database lists 13 options for receiving utility service payment assistance at this link and 9 options for receiving discounts on various utilities at this link. The State of California’s Energy Crisis Intervention Program (ECIP) provides assistance to eligible single mothers and families that are in a crisis situation at this link.
Help with Telephone Bills
You can get a good discount on your telephone bill through the California Lifeline Program at this link.
Childcare benefits for single mothers
Child Action, Inc. maintains a list of families who are eligible for subsidized childcare programs in Sacramento County, called the “Childcare Eligibility List.” In case of any openings in their programs they contact the qualified families. Find out more at this link. You can also visit Beanstalk Center Based Programs at this link to learn of their sliding-fee and free programs in licensed centers and family child care homes. Children’s Home Society of California has three Child Care Payment Programs that provide subsidized child care services to eligible families and single mothers at this link. California’s Department of Social Services has a page that explains how child care subsidies work in the state at this link. SETA runs the Head Start programming in the area, which you can find out about at this link.
Medical and Dental benefits for single mothers
The Sacramento CMISP is a program of “last resort” designed to meet the healthcare needs of residents of Sacramento who are not otherwise eligible for healthcare programs such as Medi-Cal, Medicare, or private health insurance. Find out more at this link, which also has other healthcare information. The 2-1-1 Sacramento online database lists 25 community clinics at this link and 8 different dental clinics at this link.
Help with Legal Matters
The Voluntary Legal Services Program (VLSP) at this link is a volunteer-based “pro bono” legal aid program that provides free assistance with civil legal matters to low income clients living in the Sacramento region.
Financial Counseling for single mothers
The 2-1-1 Sacramento online database lists 9 options for getting personal financial counseling services at this link.
Help for single mothers from Other Groups
A few groups in Sacramento provide all single moms kinds of services related to many of the areas mention above, including the following:
St. Vincent de Paul Sacramento Council: Link.
Catholic Charities Sacramento: Link.
Salvation Army Sacramento: Link.
2-1-1 Sacramento: Link.
++ Also read
- Section 8 Assistance Program for single mothers
- Low Income Assistance Programs for single mothers
- Foreclosure Assistance Programs for single mothers
- Mortgage assistance programs for single mothers
- Medical Bills Assistance Programs for single moms
- Get help with buying your medications
- Financial Assistance Programs for Women
- Organizations That Offer Free or Low-Cost Credit Counseling to single parents
- Local Church Assistance Programs for single moms
- Get Help from the Salvation Army
- Get Free Legal Assistance and Advice
- Help for single moms With Paying Off Student Loans
- Section 8 Assistance Program
- Catholic Charities Financial Assistance for single mothers
- Get Help Paying Electric Bills
- Get Help Paying Water Bills
- LIHEAP Energy Assistance Program for single mothers
- Low Income Assistance Programs
- Most Helpful Government Assistance Programs for single mothers
- Grants and Scholarships for Adults Back To School
- Assistance Programs for American Indians
- Assistance Programs for Hispanic single mothers
- Popular Charities that Help single mothers With Bills
- Financial Assistance Programs for Seniors
- Financial assistance programs for disabled
- Financial Assistance for Single Mothers
- Assistance Programs for African American single mothers
- Perkins loans for single mothers
- Children's health insurance program for single mothers
- Grants for single moms with no health insurance
- How to apply for government benefits
- Food stamps for single mothers
- Unemployment benefits for single mothers
- Grants for paying telephone bills
- Debt consolidation programs for single mothers
- Bankruptcy assistance for single mothers
- Government financial help for single mothers
- WIC program for single mothers
- Welfare benefits for single mothers
- Education grants for single mothers
- Cash assistance for single mothers
- College grants for single mothers
- Free scholarships for single mothers
- Rent assistance for single mothers
- Low income assistance for single mothers
- Housing grants for single mothers
- Child care assistance for single mothers