If you are a single mom residing in Anchorage and need help paying bills and meeting basic expenses, there are lots of options for getting the help you need.
Cash Assistance for single mothers
The Alaska Temporary Assistance Program (ATAP) at this link provides cash assistance and work services to low-income families and single mothers with children to help them with basic needs while they work toward becoming self-sufficient. This is Alaska’s version of the federal Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) program. The state of Alaska also has a General Relief Assistance (GRA) program that can help meet all sorts of different needs in an emergency at this link. The Alaska 2-1-1 online database also lists 6 organizations and programs that can provide temporary cash assistance at this link.
Food benefits for single mothers
The Alaska Food Stamp Program provides food benefits to low-income families and single mothers. Find out more at this link. If you need more immediate assistance with food and meals, the Alaska 2-1-1 online database lists 22 different food pantries at this link and 3 soup kitchens at this link.
++ Popular grants for single mothers
- Section 8 Assistance Program for single mothers
- Low Income Assistance Programs for single mothers
- Foreclosure Assistance Programs for single mothers
- Mortgage assistance programs for single mothers
- Medical Bills Assistance Programs for single moms
- Get help with buying your medications
- Financial Assistance Programs for Women
- Organizations That Offer Free or Low-Cost Credit Counseling to single parents
- Local Church Assistance Programs for single moms
- Get Help from the Salvation Army
- Get Free Legal Assistance and Advice
- Help for single moms With Paying Off Student Loans
- Section 8 Assistance Program
- Catholic Charities Financial Assistance for single mothers
- Get Help Paying Electric Bills
- Get Help Paying Water Bills
- LIHEAP Energy Assistance Program for single mothers
- Low Income Assistance Programs
- Most Helpful Government Assistance Programs for single mothers
- Grants and Scholarships for Adults Back To School
- Assistance Programs for American Indians
- Assistance Programs for Hispanic single mothers
- Popular Charities that Help single mothers With Bills
- Financial Assistance Programs for Seniors
- Financial assistance programs for disabled
- Financial Assistance for Single Mothers
- Assistance Programs for African American single mothers
- Perkins loans for single mothers
- Children's health insurance program for single mothers
- Grants for single moms with no health insurance
- How to apply for government benefits
- Food stamps for single mothers
- Unemployment benefits for single mothers
- Grants for paying telephone bills
- Debt consolidation programs for single mothers
- Bankruptcy assistance for single mothers
- Government financial help for single mothers
- WIC program for single mothers
- Welfare benefits for single mothers
- Education grants for single mothers
- Cash assistance for single mothers
- College grants for single mothers
- Free scholarships for single mothers
- Rent assistance for single mothers
- Low income assistance for single mothers
- Housing grants for single mothers
- Child care assistance for single mothers
Shelter and Housing grants for single mothers
If you need emergency shelter, the Alaska 2-1-1 online database lists five different community shelters at this link. It also lists six different places to go for low-income/subsidized housing options at this link.
Energy and Utilities grants for single mothers
The state of Alaska has a Heating Assistance Program (HAP) to help eligible residents defray their winter heating costs at this link. The Alaska Energy Efficiency Partnership has a page devoted to five different energy assistance programs, all of which are geared towards making homes more energy-efficient at this link. Alaska’s 2-1-1 online database lists five different places you can go to get help paying your utility bills at this link.
Telephone and Internet Bills assistance for single mothers
Alaska participates in the Lifeline telephone bill discount program, which you apply for directly with your provider. Find out all the different carriers in Alaska who participate at this link.
Single mother help with Childcare
Alaska has a Childcare Assistance Program for eligible families at this link so low-income parents can work or go to school. The group that handles Head Start and Early Head start in Anchorage is Kids’ Corps at this link.
Medical and Dental Care for single moms
The Alaska 2-1-1 online database lists nine different community clinics where Anchorage residents can go for medical and dental care at this link. Low-income individuals and families should check to see if they’re eligible for Medicaid in order to have health insurance coverage. Find out more at this link. The program geared specifically to children is called Denali KidCare at this link.
Help for single mothers with Legal Matters
Alaska Legal Services Corporation (ALSC) is a private, nonprofit law firm providing high quality civil legal services to low income and disadvantaged people and communities to protect their safety, their health and promote family stability. Find out more about single mother assistance at this link.
Help with Financial Counseling
If you need credit, budget, debt, and financial counseling services, visit Money Management International at this link,
Help for single mothers from Other Groups
There are lots of groups in Anchorage that provide single mothers all kinds of services related to many of the areas mention above, including the following:
Salvation Army Anchorage: Link.
St. Vincent de Paul Anchorage: Link.
Catholic Social Services Alaska: Link.
Alaska 2-1-1: Link.