If you are a single mother living in Milwaukee and need help paying bills and meeting basic expenses, there are lots of options for getting the help you need as a single mom.
Cash Assistance for single mothers
Wisconsin’s version of Temporary Cash Assistance For Needy Families (TANF) is called Wisconsin Works (W-2). Many different non-profit groups offer small amounts of emergency cash assistance for single mothers, and the best place to search for those groups is in the Impact 2-1-1 online database of places to get help.
Food benefits for single mothers
Wisconsin’s version of the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), formerly called Food Stamps, is called FoodShare Wisconsin. There is also a Summer Food Service Program, which provides free meals to low-income children during school vacations. Impact 2-1-1 has listings for different food pantries and 27 different soup kitchens in Milwaukee.
++ Popular grants for single mothers
- Section 8 Assistance Program for single mothers
- Low Income Assistance Programs for single mothers
- Foreclosure Assistance Programs for single mothers
- Mortgage assistance programs for single mothers
- Medical Bills Assistance Programs for single moms
- Get help with buying your medications
- Financial Assistance Programs for Women
- Organizations That Offer Free or Low-Cost Credit Counseling to single parents
- Local Church Assistance Programs for single moms
- Get Help from the Salvation Army
- Get Free Legal Assistance and Advice
- Help for single moms With Paying Off Student Loans
- Section 8 Assistance Program
- Catholic Charities Financial Assistance for single mothers
- Get Help Paying Electric Bills
- Get Help Paying Water Bills
- LIHEAP Energy Assistance Program for single mothers
- Low Income Assistance Programs
- Most Helpful Government Assistance Programs for single mothers
- Grants and Scholarships for Adults Back To School
- Assistance Programs for American Indians
- Assistance Programs for Hispanic single mothers
- Popular Charities that Help single mothers With Bills
- Financial Assistance Programs for Seniors
- Financial assistance programs for disabled
- Financial Assistance for Single Mothers
- Assistance Programs for African American single mothers
- Perkins loans for single mothers
- Children's health insurance program for single mothers
- Grants for single moms with no health insurance
- How to apply for government benefits
- Food stamps for single mothers
- Unemployment benefits for single mothers
- Grants for paying telephone bills
- Debt consolidation programs for single mothers
- Bankruptcy assistance for single mothers
- Government financial help for single mothers
- WIC program for single mothers
- Welfare benefits for single mothers
- Education grants for single mothers
- Cash assistance for single mothers
- College grants for single mothers
- Free scholarships for single mothers
- Rent assistance for single mothers
- Low income assistance for single mothers
- Housing grants for single mothers
- Child care assistance for single mothers
Shelter & Housing assistance for single mothers
The National Alliance on Mental Illness Greater Milwaukee has a listing of emergency shelters in the area. HomelessShelterDirectory also has a good list. The Housing Cost Reduction Initiative (HCRI) provides housing assistance to low- and moderate-income (LMI) households and single mothers seeking to own decent, safe, affordable housing. Impact 2-1-1 has listings for various housing-related assistance, including Rent Payment Assistance, Mortgage Payment Assistance, and so on.
Energy and Utilities grants for single mothers
Wisconsin Home Energy Assistance Program (WHEAP) provides financial assistance to help eligible households pay a portion of their heating and electric energy costs. Impact 2-1-1 lists 14 different options for getting Heating Fuel Payment Assistance.
Help with Telephone Bills
Lifeline is a Wisconsin Universal Service Fund program that makes essential telecommunications more affordable for low-income households by reducing monthly telephone charges. In addition, various non-profits listed at the end of this article might provide assistance with paying a telephone bill in an emergency.
Childcare benefits for single mothers
The Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP) provides health coverage to nearly eight million children and families with incomes too high to qualify for Medicaid, but can’t afford private coverage. You can also use the Special Milk Program (SMP), which provides milk to children in schools and childcare institutions who do not participate in other Federal meal service programs.
Single mother Help with Medical and Dental Care
Wisconsin Medicaid offers free or low-cost health care coverage to many Wisconsin residents. The City of Milwaukee Health Department maintains a list of free and low-cost health clinics. There is also a list of 15 options at FreeClinics.com.
Help with Legal Matters
The Legal Aid Society of Milwaukee is one of the oldest nonprofit law firms in the country providing free legal aid to low-income residents.
Financial Counseling for single parents
The Milwaukee Asset Building Coalition (MABC) is a private/public partnership that through education, planning, and income, assists low-income Milwaukee County residents achieve financial independence. Impact 2-1-1 lists 12 different options for receiving Financial Management Workshops.
Help for single moms from Other Groups
There are lots of groups in Milwaukee that provide single parents all kinds of services related to many of the areas mention above, including the following:
Impact 2-1-1 is a great place to search for all kinds of assistance.