If you are a single mother in need of help with paying for food, housing and other necessities read on to find out how you or your family can receive assistance.
Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF) for single mothers
The objective of the Temporary Assistance for Needy Families program (TANF) is to provide temporary financial help for low-income families to care for their children until finding gainful employment. To be eligible, you must be a resident of Florida, pregnant or responsible for a child under 19, a U.S. national, citizen, legal alien or permanent resident. Recipients must also have low or very low income, and be either underemployed, unemployed or about to become unemployed. Find out more on single mother assistance by calling 866-762-2237 or read online.
Florida Weatherization Assistance Program (WAP)
If your home sends your money through the roof and out the window, you should check with your utility company or social service agency to find out if your household is eligible for weatherization benefits. The Florida Weatherization Assistance Program provides grants to community organizations, local governments, Indian tribes and non-profit agencies to fund energy saving repairs to low-income homes in all counties.
To qualify for weatherization services, you must be a resident of Florida, and be income eligible. Learn more about saving money.
The Homeless Voice
No one plans to be homeless. One thing leads to another, and you or your family have nowhere to go. The Homeless Helpline South Florida and Central Florida is the beginning of finding help. The Homeless Voice can help with shelter, services or other programs for individuals or families who are homeless or on the verge of being homeless.
Call 855-92–HELP-1 for immediate help. You can also call 954-924-3571 or 855-924-3571. If you are unable to call or cannot call during regular business hours, you can fill out a housing request form.
Florida Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)
Do you need help paying your utility bill? Florida has services that can assist you to keep the power on. The Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program provides eligible individuals and families help with home heating and cooling costs. LIHEAP has three types of benefits available: crisis assistance, home energy assistance and weather-related or supply shortage assistance. Each category has specific requirements. Find the closest office to sign up for LIHEAP single mom benefits .
Partnership for Prescription Assistance for Florida (PPA)
Do you need help to get necessary prescription drugs but you have no insurance? This service may be able to help you get your needed medications.
The Partnership for Prescription Assistance (PPA) for Florida assists qualifying patients without prescription drug coverage get the prescribed medications they require by matching the eligible patient with the proper prescription drug coverage service. Qualified individuals will receive prescriptions for free or nearly free. PPA of Florida will never charge for assistance in finding the right service. Read on for more information.
Legal Assistance for single parents
Are you a single mother in need of free or low-cost legal help? If you live in Florida, have a civil legal matter including but not limited to domestic violence, public benefits, divorce, senior benefits and social security, there is help.
- Legal Help directory
- How Legal Aid works
- Who Can Apply For Legal Aid
- Florida Legal Services states “We believe in the fundamental right of all people, including the poor, the most vulnerable, and the hardest to reach, to have equal access to justice under the law.” Learn more at Florida Legal Services.
- Where To Locate A Legal Aid Attorney.
- Pro Bono Net is a national nonprofit organization dedicated to increasing access to justice through innovative uses of technology and increased volunteer lawyer participation. Resources for legal volunteers and pro bono attorneys who are working for the poor.
Information regarding elder services and activities is available through the Elder Helpline within each Florida county. All Elder Helplines can be accessed through the Florida Telecommunication Relay System 800-955-8771 for TDD or (800-955-8770 for Voice) which allows telephone calls to be placed between TDD users and non-users with the help of specially trained operators translating the calls. Locate help in your county.
Florida Housing Finance Corporation
Is your housing situation unstable? There is help for single mothers through a program of Florida. The Florida Housing Finance Corporation was created by the Florida Legislature to assist residents in obtaining safe, standard housing that might otherwise be unavailable to them. Programs work with renters, first-time home-buyers, disaster recovery and workforce housing. Contact 850-488-4197 or learn more here.
Medicaid is a state and federal partnership that provides health care coverage to people with low-incomes. Its purpose is to improve the health of people and their children who have no other access to medical attention. Medicaid not only can help pay the medical bills it also offers information and recommendations for healthier lifestyles such as how to avoid obesity. Also, Medicaid may assist the elderly and persons with disabilities with nursing facility required care possible other medical and long-term expenses. To learn more about Medicaid services or for a referral to your local office call 888-419-3456 or see the website.
++ Also read
- Section 8 Assistance Program for single mothers
- Low Income Assistance Programs for single mothers
- Foreclosure Assistance Programs for single mothers
- Mortgage assistance programs for single mothers
- Medical Bills Assistance Programs for single moms
- Get help with buying your medications
- Financial Assistance Programs for Women
- Organizations That Offer Free or Low-Cost Credit Counseling to single parents
- Local Church Assistance Programs for single moms
- Get Help from the Salvation Army
- Get Free Legal Assistance and Advice
- Help for single moms With Paying Off Student Loans
- Section 8 Assistance Program
- Catholic Charities Financial Assistance for single mothers
- Get Help Paying Electric Bills
- Get Help Paying Water Bills
- LIHEAP Energy Assistance Program for single mothers
- Low Income Assistance Programs
- Most Helpful Government Assistance Programs for single mothers
- Grants and Scholarships for Adults Back To School
- Assistance Programs for American Indians
- Assistance Programs for Hispanic single mothers
- Popular Charities that Help single mothers With Bills
- Financial Assistance Programs for Seniors
- Financial assistance programs for disabled
- Financial Assistance for Single Mothers
- Assistance Programs for African American single mothers
- Perkins loans for single mothers
- Children's health insurance program for single mothers
- Grants for single moms with no health insurance
- How to apply for government benefits
- Food stamps for single mothers
- Unemployment benefits for single mothers
- Grants for paying telephone bills
- Debt consolidation programs for single mothers
- Bankruptcy assistance for single mothers
- Government financial help for single mothers
- WIC program for single mothers
- Welfare benefits for single mothers
- Education grants for single mothers
- Cash assistance for single mothers
- College grants for single mothers
- Free scholarships for single mothers
- Rent assistance for single mothers
- Low income assistance for single mothers
- Housing grants for single mothers
- Child care assistance for single mothers